SATA RAID???

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
Hiya

I have an idea and I was wondering if it would fly.

We have a client that needs some serious data storage and I was thinking of using 3-750Gig SATA drives in a RAID and I was wondering:

1. Is it possible to raid SATA drives the way SCSI drives are raides.

and

2. If I get an 8 drive card, just how easy would it be to expand this RAID if I wanted to add more 750Gig drives???

Thank you.

PS: Any links to hardware and/or giudes would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, SATA drives can RAID just like anything else.
Expansion ability depends on the controller.
No links, sorry.
Maybe you should consider a NAS or SAN and be sure to implement a strong backup solution when you throw all this together.

Actually this will be the backup solution.

The current aging system is a bunch of rapidly filling 74Gig scsi drives.

I'm thinking of getting a SATA-2 card and getting 5-750Gig drives and building a raid with them to use as the backup location for when we replace the aging scsi system.

How important is this data?
There is no substitution for an off-site backup.
Put it on tape and take it out of the building, if there is a fire or somesuchdisaster then what good will this do?

The controller card buyer's guide I put together a while back is a good resource IMHO. Several (many) of those cards support online capacity expansion. It's still recommended to do it while it's not in production, and while on battery-backed power to prevent corruption should the power go out.

gigabyte1024 is right; in addition to this you should consider offsite backup. On-site solutions are fine and good; restoring data from them is generally much faster than pulling it over the WAN.

Back