SATA Power Question

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
I just recieved a SATA drive with both a 4 pin molex power connector and a sata style (is there a name for this?) power connector.

I was wondering what the difference is between the two power connectors? advantages? disadvantages?

none. just dont plug both in. I think they're trying to make the SATA compatible with all computers as some PSU's dont have SATA connectors

the sata power connector was designed to be hotswapable. However, most boards don't like it...

The 4-pin molex is much more secure.

some of the sata hard drives dont even come with the 4pin molex though.

hmm, i don't see how most boards would not like it....first off, becuz it deals with the PSU and not the mobo, would you explain how the power adapter affects the mobo?

Also, are the SATA drives actually hot swappable? and, how is it the 4 pin is more secure?

THe old molex 4 pin has a tighter fit, and not as likely to snap off if pressure is put on it the wrong way.

only Seagate Hard Drives come with only the NEW SATA POWER method.

Western Digital and Maxtor are the only ones along with Hatichi makes the SATA HDs in both the 4pin molex and with the new method.

hotswappable meaning you can unplug the SATA power and SATA data cable from the drive while the pc is on? simular to usb?

SerialThriller said:
hmm, i don't see how most boards would not like it....first off, becuz it deals with the PSU and not the mobo, would you explain how the power adapter affects the mobo?

Also, are the SATA drives actually hot swappable? and, how is it the 4 pin is more secure?
The SATA power connector pins are at different lengths.(look at the plug closely Its easy to see) When you plug in the SATA power connector, the grounds touch first before the power is applied.

As far as the Molex being more secure, I think that they might be more durable, but not more secure.

However the SATA DATA cables are VERY fragile, so be carefull with them.

Back