Sata Power or Legacy?

jnick

2[H]4U
I just recieved a WD 74gb Raptor for Christmas, and realized that it talks about some type of "Sata 15P Cable". Note, this is the first time that I'm using a stat drive so I'm fairly new to how they work. I searched around, and Xoxide states Serial drives don't use standard 4 pin molex cables. However, explicitly on the drive, it says:

"Use either Sata 15P Power Connector or Legacy power connector, not both".

This leads me to believe I COULD use a normal 4 pin molex, however I want to be sure. Do I now need to get a Sata power cable before I hook it up? If not, would a Sata Power cable be a better choice for any reason over that standard 4 pin molex?

Thank you :).

I've had no problems using either on my Raptor. I did switch to the sata power cable as soon as I could tho, no idea if there are any benefits or what not.

hmm . . . Time2Kill, did you use WD special SATA cable, or did you manage to use a standard SATA cable with a 4 PIN molex?

jnick said:
hmm . . . Time2Kill, did you use WD special SATA cable, or did you manage to use a standard SATA cable with a 4 PIN molex?

I used the 4 pin molex w/out the special cable and had no problems. I only switched to the SATA power cable when I bought an adaptor for a second drive SATA power only drive (300gb Maxtor).

I ended up selling my Raptor due to SATA issues with my Abit AX8, but now want another since I just bought an NF4 Ultra.

A few customers of the store where I Work build their computers with the Raptors and the standard molex. None of their troubles has been related to hardware. Drive manufacturers would not put on something that would kill it. You'll be fine with either.

Back