SATA or SAS?

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm looking to assemble a server for a small medical clinic. The client machines run an application which accesses data stored on the database/file server.

There will be a total of three computers on the network. Only two of the three would access the server at the same time... (the third computer is an extra) Most of the time only one machine would be accessing the database data while the other computer would access your ordinary office data such as word docs and photos.

What would be ideal for this setup, SAS or SATA? Cost is a limiting factor, but the solution should not be slow. Total hdd space would need to be around 500-750GB.

Which ever hard drive type I go with, the hdds will be setup in Raid 5 or Raid 10.

TIA :)

Either one should work equally well for such a small project. This doesn't sound like a network that's going to be loaded down with transfers.

Either one should work equally well for such a small project. This doesn't sound like a network that's going to be loaded down with transfers.

Agree. I dont think you will see/feel any differences with either SAS or SATA.

SATA is more than enough.
Just make sure you don't skimp on RAM, that way the database server chan store a large chunk (or all of it) in memory.
(When I say "don't skimp" I mean something like 4GB, no need to go overboard with 8 or 16.)

The funny thing is the recommended specs state 2GB of memory... I'm thinking a minimum of 4GB... maybe 8GB.

Back