Sata nightmare

xternal

Weaksauce
So I finally made the decision to get a sata drive. Got the Seagate ST3300831AS in friday and went to install it but have had problems trying to get the system to pickup the drive as master.

I installed the Silicon Image 3114 SATA Raid Drivers on the DFI Lan Party Ultra B board and got the drive to work and copied my c:/ to the new 300gb. Then shutdown the pc and unplugged the master hd which was IDE and attempted to turn the system back on but it wouldnt find the SATA hard drive. I notice it reads the SATA drive in the raid config during startup.

After doing research on dfi-street.com I noticed a couple other people had the same problem and I used there advice:

Set BIOS to:
S-ATA or SCSI Card BOOT – S-ATA
First Boot Device - SATA-0 (missing, the closest thing to sata is scsi)
Second Boot Device - CDROM
Third Boot Device - Floppy
Sil3114 S-ATA Control – SATA (Non RAID for single HDD)

but still nothing, I think it might have something to do with SATA-0 not being in the boot device options. Also now when I startup the system it says Mass Storage Controller and doesnt read the drive again but when looking in the device manager the recently installed Silicon Image 3114 SATA Raid Driver is no longer there but before installing the drivers for that it was called "Raid Controller", another obstacle.

Did you load the raid or the non-raid drivers ?

If you only have one drive you will need to use the SiL3114 32bit Windows driver.
Also your probably best doing a fresh install of Windoze and using F6 to load the drivers into Windows as it installs.
That way you know everything is working as it installs.

Luck................ :D

I used the drivers that came on a floppy with the motherboard but my current problem is this unknown Mass Storage Controller in device manager, the Silicon Image 3114 is no longer in the device manager for some odd reason.

why u using Silicon controller ? it is noticebly slower than nVidia SATA controller.

greetings,

Peacemaker.

Its the onboard sata for the dfi lan party ultra b board, I got everything to work. Did a fresh format of XP and just moved all files over manually. Thank you Tigerbiten.

Back