SATA II compatibility

jmhc

Weaksauce
Hello there:

Does anyone knows if I can connect MAXTOR 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM SATA II 32MB CACHE into a SATA 150 MB/s port??

Does this connection has any consequence??

Thank you.

it´ll work just not as fast as it could
there should be a jumper on the HD
1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s
put it on 1.5Gb/s

I don't even think you need to move the jumper. It should automagically work at the slower SATA -1 speeds.

It's backwards compatible and will automatically switch to SATA I.

There will be absolutely no performance loss since your drive isn't anywhere close to hitting the 192MB/s (150MB/s if you take 8b/10b encoding into consideration) limit imposed by SATA 150. You'd have to have 2 of those drives in RAID 0 to touch that.

It's backwards compatible and will automatically switch to SATA I.

There will be absolutely no performance loss since your drive isn't anywhere close to hitting the 192MB/s limit imposed by SATA 150. You'd have to have at least 3 of those drives in RAID 0 to touch that.
Where did you get 192mb/s from? It's 150mb/s.

1.5 gigabits = 192 megabytes.

But it's not fair if you don't count the 20% 8b/10b encoding overhead so I was doing a ninja edit when you caught me :)

Regardless, he won't experience any performance loss.

I'm pretty sure my math is fine. As I said, I was stating the theoretical limit, which technically is 192MB/s. It is not my wish to de-rail the thread when regardless of how you look at it, his single 1TB drive won't experience any performance loss. But, if you insist, here is how I arrive at 192MB/s...

1.5 * 1024 / 8 = 192.

Google calculator (I love that thing btw) tells me the same. Search "1.5 gigabits in megabytes" in Google.

But once again, it's not fair to state theoretical limits so yes, taking overhead into consideration, 150MB/s is pretty accurate (153.6MB/s if you want to get anal about it).

I don't even think you need to move the jumper. It should automagically work at the slower SATA -1 speeds.

The older Maxtor drives had intermittent drop out issues if you didn't jumper the drive to SATA1. I don't know if this was ever fixed (now that Maxtor == Seagate).

I would not be surprised if the drive wasn't in fact a seagate 7200.11. If that is the case it should come stock with the 1.5 limiter jumper installed.

On a side note, anyone else despise the seagate micro jumpers?

Back