• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SATA II cables ? really ?

Phrik

Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
636
SATA II cables ? really ?

I mean I though 3 Gbps controller on MoBO and a 3 Gbps capable HDD is enough. Does it have to have a SATA II cables ?

Thanks for info...
 
Phrik said:
Some online shops are claiming SATA II cables =.=
They can claim whatever they want. If a cable meets SATA150 spec, it should be able to run at 3Gbps signaling speeds.
 
I've noticed almost all SATAII spec cables have the nice locking latches. I think that's the ONLY difference.
 
western digital is the only HDD company to actually use them and they supply power through them also

well that failed i guess i need to look before speaking i was right about the WD thing though the power comes from the motherboard not from powersupply
 
Thanks for clearing that up, as I too thought Is there a difference between SATA and SATA2 cables? Oh well used the SATA cables that came for my mobo on my Seagate 7200.10 and they work fine.
 
walwalka said:
western digital is the only HDD company to actually use them and they supply power through them also

well that failed i guess i need to look before speaking i was right about the WD thing though the power comes from the motherboard not from powersupply
The WD specific cables are called "Secure Connect" and they may not work with other companies' hdds. Also, they require to use legacy power, thereby eliminating the possibility to hot-swap the drive. Aside from the fancy connector, I doubt that they are any different from most other SATA cables. Of course, we won't know that for sure, unless someone starts hooking up some fancy analysis tools to SATA cables.
 
Back
Top