other than the bandwith limits 3gbps and 1.5 respectively, are there any other major differences? would having 16mb buffer with SATA150 be better than 8mb buffer with SATAII?
You most likely won't notice any performance difference between a sata II drive and a sata I drive. The larger buffer may help but it depends on how well they implemented it. You'd have to look at benchmarks to see how the drive actual compares to the other drive your looking to buy.
Would a SATA drive work on a SATA II motherboard? I am buying this motherboard (which has four SATA II connectors) but want to use my old HDDs which are only SATA. Is there some backwards compatability or will I have to buy some new HDDs?
SATA drives will work on sata II and they will also work on SAS.
NCQ is native command queuing(sp?) and it really is designed to give performance benifits with server type usage patterns, not what the normal user/gamer will use.