SATA hot swap recommendation

sniggle

Limp Gawd
To preface, I went through a few pages of search results on this topic and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I work for a company where we encode a lot of large media for random clients. We're looking to get organized with our storage needs for keeping the uncompressed media. In my mind I envision a very simple sata hard drive "drive", akin to a floppy drive. This means you would literally shove a bare SATA drive in a slot and it would plug right in and use the hot swap ability to transfer whatever media you wanted for that particular client and then "eject" (safely remove hardware) the drive and put it into storage.

Does such a device exist, or am I forced to use a hot swap enclosure that makes you mount the hard drive inside a relatively cheap "holders" (I'm not sure what they're called)? Here's a link to what I mean:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121405

I assume the reason I cannot find a device that accepts bare drives is because the exterior of hard drives varies too much for it to work consistently.

Thanks in advance!

Correct, you're always going to need to mount the drive in a caddy first.Usually you can get additional caddies fairly cheaply ($10 a piece or so?)

Amazingly enough, there really aren't many on newegg. Can you recommend a good retailer for this sort of thing? Additionally, can you recommend a unit that would hold 2-3 drives? Thanks!

If you can live with USB speeds, there's this. Slap it on the end of any sata, ide, or 2.5" ide disk and it works.

I own one of those Supermicro enclosures and really like it. They're $25 less at eWiz. It takes four countersunk screws to completely mount a drive in the caddy, though, so it might be a little time-consuming for your purposes.

Yeah I have one of those, they're pretty good. I'd rather go a more professional route, but in the short run one of those adapters could be an easy way out.

you could get a case with built-in hot swap bays like this one by cooler master. You still need the caddy, but I think that's more to control vibration, make sure the drive is alligned correctly and give you an easy way to remove it.

Back