SATA HELP!

br1zz0

Limp Gawd
hello, i just got a Maxtor 250GB SATA hdd, and im having some trouble installing it. my mobo is a MSI 865PE-Neo2. I went on the MSI site and downloaded the "promise sata" drivers, and put the files on a floppy. they did not work. I also tried the drivers from my cd which also didnt work. Can anyone help me, I'm pretty new to this stuff so anything will be appreciated. :)

Are you trying to install window's xp onto the drive? or are you just trying to get the drive up and running? Install the drivers for your sata controller first, then connect the drive. If you are trying to install windows on this drive, pull out the manual for your mobo or for your raid controller (sometimes it is a different book) and see what it says you have to do. You may have to open up your driver cd and find a program to create a floppy to use when you push F6 during install.

im installing windows on the sata, and i have the mobo's manual which doesnt really say anything, and with my driver cd, i copied and pasted some files which i read in "makedisk.txt" onto a: and it still didnt work :\

I have the same motherboard. I never had to load any SATA Drivers. Is your bios set for Native or Legacy Mode?

Legacy mode, now i got the drivers, put them on a disk. I booted up winxp, when it asked to specify scsi adapters, i choosed my controller (Promise SATA378 Controller & Promise Fast Trak 376/378 Controller). it installed. then when i went to setup windows, i got this msg saying "setup did not find any hdd installed, make sure disk is properly installed"

I can't remember which MSI board it is but there is one that has a hell of a time installing SATA. I have tried to do it on 2 or 3 systems with that board and none of them would take. I finally resorted to installing the drive on a PCI controller card and then installing the drivers to windows before moving it to the onboard controller.

Apollo686 said:
I can't remember which MSI board it is but there is one that has a hell of a time installing SATA. I have tried to do it on 2 or 3 systems with that board and none of them would take. I finally resorted to installing the drive on a PCI controller card and then installing the drivers to windows before moving it to the onboard controller.

That is because you have an older Intel southbridge (as is, unfortunately, typical with the 865 series chipset-based motherboards). Though the entire 865 series *could* be used with Intel's own ICH5-series southbridges (including the infamous ICH5RS, which supports straight SATA, SATA RAID, and Matrix RAID), it isn't, usually. Which means that if you have SATA support, it comes entirely from a third-party controller (usually Promise or Silicon Image). It makes my own purchase of an 875P-based motherboard look good primarily in hindsight, as I did NOT have this issue when I went SATA for my 200 GB DiamondMax.

Back