Sata enclosure with only esata passthrough?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Ikasu, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Ikasu

Ikasu Gawd

Has anyone seen any enclosures that support multiple drives that only deliver power and a pass through for esata? Trying to avoid using raid enclosure boxes, or usb enclosures in general.

I use a 420mm rad, so my case options are SUPER short, and most don't support my 6 mechanical drives as well as the 420mm rad at the same time. Was hoping I could find a box that just provides power with an esata passthrough, where I can just use an internal card extension to connect to the sata connectors on board.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

3. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

There are esata enclosures from Mediasonic, Sans Digital and Rosewill that will do this....if you are ok with port multiplication. I use a Sans Digital and Media Sonic unit. Esata cable connects to a cheap sata expansion card in my computers that supports port multiplication. The downside to port multiplication is that all the drives combined bandwidth is limited to the bandwith of one sata port (~550MB/s??). So not a good idea for SSD’s, but plenty fine for HDD’s where you are only expecting ~150MB/s per drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...onic&cm_re=Media_sonic-_-17-576-009-_-Product

Another solution is buy a cheap computer case, put a low power PSU in it that is always on (ATX green wire mod) and get some cables from Monoprice that are esata on one end and regular sata on the other. Then plug each drive directly into an esata port. Not as pretty, but not restricted by port multiplication.