SATA DVD+/-R

Lazaredz

n00b
Anyone know of a good DVD writer that is SATA?

I could only find 1 model (by Plextor I think) and it didn't have the best reviews.

Thx

I'm using a Plextor 755SA and its absolutely sweet.

I've yet to burn a single coaster with it and its bloody fast.

I'd recommend making sure you flash up to the 1.04 firmware if you get one that comes with the 1.02 version.

I believe Samsung was supposed to have a SATA burner out but I was never able to find anyone who carried it yet, so I went with the Plextor, and I've got no regrets.

Unfrotunately, it seems like the manufacturers are really going to skip DVD+ and wait fro HD/Blu-Ray before implementing SATA.

Having said that...Plextor is the only game in town, and will likely be for another year.

I really want to go all SATA on my next build, but the Plextor prices just aren't rational when you consider how much a similar performing PATA NEC is a third of the price.

Get a PATA to SATA adapter for $10 (Abit Serillel that came with the NF7-S for example) and use it with whatever drive you want.

That's all Plextor is doing anyway. There are no native SATA burners out there. You'll notice the plextor drives are over an inch longer than normal drives...it's the adapter on the back. ;)

dolphumous said:
Get a PATA to SATA adapter for $10 (Abit Serillel that came with the NF7-S for example) and use it with whatever drive you want.

That's all Plextor is doing anyway. There are no native SATA burners out there. You'll notice the plextor drives are over an inch longer than normal drives...it's the adapter on the back. ;)

That was true on the 712-sa, but not on the newer models. ;)

I still didn't think they're native sata. I thought it was just a revised adapter.

Either way a NEC ND-3550a and a SATA adapter is $45ish...which is a much better deal than Plextors $analrape.

dolphumous said:

My 755SA SATA burner is over an inch shorter than my previous IDE drive, which was a nice bonus.

dolphumous said:
I still didn't think they're native sata. I thought it was just a revised adapter.

Either way a NEC ND-3550a and a SATA adapter is $45ish...which is a much better deal than Plextors $analrape.

Man, my 712 (non SATA) has got to be the best burner I've ever used. Not to say that others aren't close, but if its gotta be burned right, gotta be burned correctly, thats the one I use.

Don't knock it until you tried it. ;)

Back