SATA Drives with Promise UltraTrak SX8000 External RAID

lastmile77

n00b
I've got a 4-drive LaCie F800 USB/FW400/FW800 RAID attached to my iMac that I'm using to store DVD backups and other video. Right now its 4x 250GB in a RAID 5. I want something bigger and while I could get 4x 1TB but I don't want to bother buying another 1 TB to store the data during the swap. Plus I'd just like more room to grow.

Some of the older SCSI interface RAIDs that take ATA drives internally have gotten pretty cheap. A Promise UltraTrak SX8000 would be great plus they look cool. :) It takes up to 8 drives and the RAID can be expanded as extra drives are added unlike the LaCie. So I don't have to spring for 8TB all at once. Can't use it on the iMac but there I've got other system with SCSI.

But they take ATA drives and I'd really prefer to use 1TB SATAs.

I'm wondering if anybody has used SATA-ATA adapters with any Promise products (controller card or external array)? I've seen some posts along these lines but nobody who's actually tried it.

I'm thinking that or buy newer SATA sleds but without pics I can't tell if the backplane connections would be the same. I've seen sleds for single removable drive setups that look the same but lack the locking mechanism. So I'm thinking I'd swap the SATA-backplane interface boards into the original sleds.

Of course Promise is no help, only saying that only ATA drives are supported.

I don't put much stock in that or plenty of the other "not supported" claims I've heard. The LaCie RAID was actually built from a smashed F800 and a new S1S. Seems nobody wants the eSATA only S1S but the multi-interface versions are expensive. So a beat up F800 with no drives plus a new S1S with 4x 250GB and 30 min becomes a fully working, new looking F800. Connection to my SX8000 question is that the S1S drives and sleds were SATA while the F800 used ATA drives (though I only got empty sleds with mine).

Doesn't mean it will work with the Promise but it seems like there's a good chance. But confirmation from somebody else's success is always nice. :)

Promise SX8000 External RAID Array Datasheet (actually datasheet for the whole family of arrays)

Answered my own question on using different drive sleds. Based on what I'm seeing for removable SATA drives in general they connect directly with the backplane. Duh. Strange that the LaCie sleds have a different connection which may be identical of the standard FC drive connector. ATA Promise RAIDs look like they use a connector that looks like a wider version of the ATA drive one.

So now I look for a SATA->PATA converter that fits...

Another response to my own question...

The user manual says that there is a 2.199 TB limitation for all arrays created within the unit. You can make multiple arrays so I'm assuming that no matter how many you have the limit for all added together is 2.199 TB...for some reason.

There are firmware updates on Promise's site as well as lists of hardware they tests with each update. The only description for the last update is "enhanced drive support". The list of hard drives tested with that update includes a 500GB drive. Nothing that large was tested before. That's probably just because a drive that size wasn't common prior to that date. The firmware is also for the 4-drive SX4000 so 4x 500 GB in a RAID 0 would still come in under the 2.199 TB limit. I did ask Promise what that update did but no reply yet.

Back