Sata drive showing as a removable device in task bar

Drepd

n00b
Hello, I just put together a new system and didnt have any issues. Played all night with it....then the windows auto update ran. After reboot of the update, my system sits on the windows screen for a while. *Also my sata drive (main boot drive) is now showing up as a removable device in the task bar. edit( did some searches and this appears to be fine)..however since that update I am still getting these ide paging errors.

I checked the device manager and all the nvidia devices appear to be installed and working fine. I have a few listed under the IDE ata/atapi controllers: nforce parallel ata controller, nforce serail ata controller.

After windows finally loads, the event viewer has error detected on device during paging operation. I ran maxtor diagnostics on my sata drive and 0 errors found. I reformatted the drive and put it into my other box which is an older n3 board and everything boots wonderfully. Then went through another hour of reformatting and installing back on my new n4 A8N board and wham! Boot times out the ass again along with the event viewer error.

I have an Asus A8N5X
Maxtor Sata drive
4400x2
7900gtx evga
ocz 2,3,2,5 matched pairs
lite-on dvd player
(As of right now, these are the only things I have hooked up)

Thanks Drep

seems I had my usb external drive plugged in too. I disconnected the usb external drive and I am booting in seconds!! Plug the usb external back in and reboot goes back to taking forever. Unplug it and back to seconds. Wierd. Am I looking a mobo conflict somewhere?

Im not sure why it's running slow, but SATA drives are meant to be hot swappable, hence the Removable Device icon. You can remove that icon however.

You may have something on your USB drive that is confusing Windows during startup. If you dont care about it, take the USB option out of your boot device order.

I tried to install Linux to boot from my thumb drive. Erased the filed without reformatting it. Now if I have it in when I restart, I hang just like you.

Back