SATA drive not recognized

Decker87

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
415
Hi. I just bought a new Samsung Spinpoint IDE drive. I don't know why I didn't just buy an SATA model, but I had a few Serillel convereters laying around, so I decided to use one.

Problem is, my computer doesn't detect the drive at all. I don't have any jumpers on it, but everything else is plugged in the only way it can be. I updated my SATA driver, to no avail. What can I do?

Motherboard is Abit NF7-S v2.0.
 
Well, I made some progress. the drive now shows up in Device Manager, and reads the capacities correctly, but it still doesn't have a drive letter assigned, and I still can't transfer anything to or from it. Do I need to format? Is that the problem?

nnadn9.jpg

nnady0.jpg
 
Since it is seen in device manager, you might have to format it to have access to it.
 
start > administrative tools > Computer management

or
start > all programs > administrative tools > Computer Management

Click on "Disk management," then find the drive, right click and format.

 
I did get it working, by formatting it. It went really quickly - I didn't use any windows-based program, I used something called Disc Manager from Samsung which was on my "Ultimate Boot CD". I can figure it out from here, thanks for the help!
 
Back
Top