SATA drive being detected as ATA in vista?? (And other things)

ca14

n00b
1. My WD SATA drive is apparently an ATA drive in device manager; is this slowing down my hard drive speed/how do I fix this?

2. Internet explorer is very laggy, despite everything else in my system being very fast. 50% of the time I close IE7, it freezes up and I need to end the process. My chipset drivers and everything are installed.

specs are

-core2duo e6600
-1900xt
-p5w dh deluxe
-250gb sata 7200rpm WD
-2gb corsair ddr2-800
-creative sound blaster xfi-xtreme music

Thanks!

-Cal

1. My WD SATA drive is apparently an ATA drive in device manager; is this slowing down my hard drive speed/how do I fix this?

2. Internet explorer is very laggy, despite everything else in my system being very fast. 50% of the time I close IE7, it freezes up and I need to end the process. My chipset drivers and everything are installed.

1 - No, it should not have any adverse effects on your performance. Your motherboard BIOS probably has the ports set to 'legacy/IDE' mode for compatibility reasons. You can change it so that the SATA ports are recognized as SATA, but the only real reason to do this would be to enable SATA-controller specific options, such as AHCI, which enables you to do things like SATA hot swap and NCQ for drives supporting that feature.

2 - Do you mean slowness in accessing sites? It may be a DNS issue, or IE's anti-phishing filter. Have you installed all the latest hotfixes for Vista and IE7?

edit: I had assumed you meant the drives were seen as IDE ATA, but firebane may be more correct than I am on what your issue is with the ATA thing.

1 - No, it should not have any adverse effects on your performance. Your motherboard BIOS probably has the ports set to 'legacy/IDE' mode for compatibility reasons. You can change it so that the SATA ports are recognized as SATA, but the only real reason to do this would be to enable SATA-controller specific options, such as AHCI, which enables you to do things like SATA hot swap and NCQ for drives supporting that feature.

2 - Do you mean slowness in accessing sites? It may be a DNS issue, or IE's anti-phishing filter. Have you installed all the latest hotfixes for Vista and IE7?

edit: I had assumed you meant the drives were seen as IDE ATA, but firebane may be more correct than I am on what your issue is with the ATA thing.

You are possibly correct as well on the slowness with IE7; that anti-phishing filter has been proven to slow down load times in IE.

But really who uses IE anymore :D

But really who uses IE anymore :D
All of those who don't like Firefox or Opera, and realize IE7 has scored nearly the same as Firefox in all the various print mags' tests.

The Firefox vs IE6 was a no-brainer, but sometimes people are so blinded by the past, they can't recognize a decent product when it comes alone. There's no reason to snicker or look down upon anyone who's only using IE7.

All of those who don't like Firefox or Opera, and realize IE7 has scored nearly the same as Firefox in all the various print mags' tests.

The Firefox vs IE6 was a no-brainer, but sometimes people are so blinded by the past, they can't recognize a decent product when it comes alone. There's no reason to snicker or look down upon anyone who's only using IE7.

I'm not looking down or being condensing to people but working in the technician department you'll find that more people who use IE have issues but not due to IE but due to not taking the preventative measures from the start.

That's what I like about IE7. I can roll it out to everyone in my company, who aren't the most tech savvy people, and I know it has measures in place to save them from issues. The anti-phising filter alone makes it worthwhile. Since I'd be including all updates in my images anyway, it's less software I need to build in. We also tend to use WSS 3.0, which works better with IE7 than Firefox.

Back