Sata data cable splitter?

MrPatate

Gawd
Hi,

I'm searching for a way to have 2 sata device connected on one sata port. I need all my 10 sata port and I'm really annoyed to loose 2 for 2 devices I rarely use.

Both devices won't be used and powered at the same time!

I know sata is one port one device. I know there are port multiplier(which aren't very recommended from what I read). I already have a pci-e sata controler and don't want to change or add another one ($$).

I want to share one port between a dvd burner(used a few times a year) and a hot swap bay (used 3 times a year). And yes I'm too lazy to open my case and swap the sata data cable :p.

So does a sata "Y" cable exist somewhere? Or something like it...

Thank you!

what about putting the burner in an external USB case?

So does a sata "Y" cable exist somewhere? Or something like it...

No its not possible to have a Y connector without logic. The logic in this case would be a port multiplier.

what about putting the burner in an external USB case?

That's thinking "out of the box"...pun intended :D

I'd like to keep it all in if I can and for the price of an enclosure I could get a cheap pci 2xsata controller. I think I won't have a choice (or stop being lazy, which is hard!). I understand there isn't a big market for what I'm searching and that it would probably create issue with people who don't know how sata works...

No its not possible to have a Y connector without logic. The logic in this case would be a port multiplier.

The way I would use it yes, it would be like one side of the Y isn't connected to anything while the other one is. Unless there something more I don't understand :confused:

use this with the burner,
http://www.sfcable.com/SATA-C35U.ht...rm=SATA-C35U&gclid=CPeP7cqb0cMCFYiVfgodXLwALg

you don't need the power supply as you already have one in the case.

and use this if you want to keep all cables inside, if you have a spare USB header on your motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200294

Thank you, after posting I thought about that as well. Will probably be my move in the end.

I'm guessing USB2 would be enough for a dvd burner? Also do you think I could USB boot with this?

a 24x burner writes at about the max speed of USB2 so it should be ok.
I can't answer if you can USB boot from it though.

The way I would use it yes, it would be like one side of the Y isn't connected to anything while the other one is. Unless there something more I don't understand :confused:

The reason why no one will make something like that is because people will be stupid and sue whoever makes it because they had both devices on at the same time and it corrupted their data or whatever happened. That's why an actual switch is the only thing that will come close to what you're looking for.

The reason why no one will make something like that is because people will be stupid and sue whoever makes it because they had both devices on at the same time and it corrupted their data or whatever happened. That's why an actual switch is the only thing that will come close to what you're looking for.

Yeah I get it, I said that above:
I understand there isn't a big market for what I'm searching and that it would probably create issue with people who don't know how sata works...

It would be fun to have one tho...

Y-splitting wires like that is at the very least risky due to impedance issues.
You could burn your controller out because of improper 'load' matching.
The devices would start responding to each other's echoed commands. It would be AN ANARCHY.
:p

edited for usefulness:
Have you considered a USB hub and a bunch of cheapo USB-SATA adapters for the drives?

Last edited:
USB3 internal adapter:
Thanks

Y-splitting wires like that is at the very least risky due to impedance issues.
You could burn your controller out because of improper 'load' matching.
The devices would start responding to each other's echoed commands. It would be AN ANARCHY.
:p

I didn't thought about that, thanks. I thought if the device didn't have power it would be like the sata data cable was unplugged. Good to learn!

The use of a USB-SATA interface is very good suggestions and advice. Optical media needs very little bandwidth at best and yes, is a waste of ports these days. The use of an internal port adapter will ensure no issues with cables or a busy BUS.

Most system I build these days, Optical media is an option, not a given. External USB DVD/BluRay allows smaller chassis's and more ports for drives.

also, usb 2.0 will be a pretty serious performance bottleneck. and it could hinder booting from a cd, if you need to do that.

Last edited:
also, usb 2.0 will be a pretty serious performance bottleneck. and it could hinder booting from a cd, if you need to do that.

Bullshit, no pretty way of saying it!

Not many optical mediums get close to the USB 2.0 speeds, stop ranting crap.

Back