-Mr Mullet-
n00b
- Joined
- Jun 4, 2011
- Messages
- 31
Hi.
Probably been asked about before, but could not find anything doing a search.
Is it possible to use a standard SATA controller on a SAS backplane with SATA drives in it?
I'm building a Norco RPC-4224 server with a Tyan S5512WGM2NR motherboard with onboard LSI 2008 SAS controller and 4xSATA-II and 2xSATA-III ports.
I will start my build with 12 Hitachi 5K3000 2TB drives (will add more later when they fill up and drives get even cheaper...
) and was planning to connect the LSI2008 to 8 of the drives and the last four to the SATA-II controller using a SFF-8087 reverse breakout cable.
2(8)xSAS LSI2008 -> SAS-backplane -> 8xHitachi 5K3000 2TB
4xSATA-II -> SAS-backplane -> 4xHitachi 5K3000 2TB.
So will this work, or do I have to buy a "SAS" controller to get my last 4 drives working?
I will of course add more SAS controllers (or expander) later when installing the last 12 drives.
Regards.
Kaj
Probably been asked about before, but could not find anything doing a search.
Is it possible to use a standard SATA controller on a SAS backplane with SATA drives in it?
I'm building a Norco RPC-4224 server with a Tyan S5512WGM2NR motherboard with onboard LSI 2008 SAS controller and 4xSATA-II and 2xSATA-III ports.
I will start my build with 12 Hitachi 5K3000 2TB drives (will add more later when they fill up and drives get even cheaper...
2(8)xSAS LSI2008 -> SAS-backplane -> 8xHitachi 5K3000 2TB
4xSATA-II -> SAS-backplane -> 4xHitachi 5K3000 2TB.
So will this work, or do I have to buy a "SAS" controller to get my last 4 drives working?
I will of course add more SAS controllers (or expander) later when installing the last 12 drives.
Regards.
Kaj