• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SATA boot with IDE drives

BlizzofOZ

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
166
Hi all...
I got an Compaq Presario SR5223WM from a friend, whose power supply went on it.
Gave it to me so that I can fix, clean and resell it.
Installed spare power supply and it works fine. Used Compaq's restore application to get it back to default, as if from factory.

This computer had a 120 some odd SATA drive in it. I had a spare IDE drive laying around and threw it in there. When I have the IDE drive installed, I have to use a boot menu to boot off the Vista SATA drive. Otherwise, it tries to boot off IDE and doesn't boot because the IDE is a scratched/formatted drive. In the BIOS, I see both drives. The IDE (slave) is set at the highest or first boot drive. I cannot use (+) to move the SATA up so that it boots from it.

I know I'm doing something stupidly wrong with too much vodka in my system to realize it... any I ideas?
 
Once I was trying to change the boot order on a drive in the bios... before I could move a drive up I had to move the one set as 1st boot device down to second.
 
No jumper set on Sata drive and it is placed on the SATA 1 port.
The IDE drive states without jumper it is a slave, with jumper in first position is master.
I've tried with and without jumper, same result.

Again what I'm finding odd is that I cannot move the drives or the boot order. I've even tried a different keyboard in case the +/- were broken.
Mehphisto, I'm not sure how or where you mean this. In the boot order screen?
If so, that is where I cannot move any (2) drive, up or down.
 
Such an idiot... while I thought I was having issues with the IDE drive as it was a bootable drive in its prior life. Went thru fdisk blah blah blah... reboot and it still doesn't work.

I'm in the bios trying to get the drive to move up/down in the boot list, using the shift +/- on the keyboard... no go. I look over to the right of the keyboard, at the + on the num keypad... and think "can't be"... well it can be. +/- on the num keypad work and not on the keyboard. :confused:

Anway, I'm all set on this...
 
Back
Top