RuyZ

n00b
k so im running a new comp, heres the specs:

p4p800-e delux
saphire 9600 256mb
p4 3.0e
512 kingston
maxtor 80gb 8mb buffer SATA (x2)

so i install xp running normal sata no issues, but when i try to set it up running raid 0, it goes through the xp install, and no matter what sata and raid driver i use, the install says it cannot detect any hard discs when xp normally gets to the part where you choose the drive your installing onto.

i setup raid on the bios according to the instructions that came with the mobo, and have everything pluged in correctly, the 2 drives were setup as one raid0 drive, everything shows correctly in the bios and the raid configuration.

ive tried every sata and raid driver on the cd that came with the mobo, and a few off the net, but they all give the same problem, me and a couple of my friends are pretty sure that i just dont have the right driver, but were not sure exatley.

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Right at the beginning of the XP install (where there's a blue screen, and a whole bunch of device files are loaded) there's a message at the bottom of the screen along the lines of "If there are any third party RAID drivers you would like to install, hit "some key". I can't remember exactly what it says, but are you doing that?

I have that same exact mobo and I am running dual raptor drives in raid 0. There are two raid controllers you can use, promise and intel. The promise RAID is the lower set of SATA connectors and the intel one is the upper group. Did you change your BIOS so it's configured to use RAID? Did you press Ctrl+F (if you're using Promise's) and configure your RAID? And finally, when you were installing windows did you press F6? You need to do that and then you'll have to load the drivers for the raid controller. I think they're on the CD to the mobo and you have to put them on a floppy. I can give you better directions when I get home, if you want them. The documentation on the mobo's CD has step-by-step instructions. Use that along with the instuctions in the manual and you'll have no problems. I followed those instructions and was getting an error when trying to install windows on my RAID because I had a bad hard drive. To find the dead drive I tried installing windows on each drive. The one that failed was the dead one. :D

on that note, the suggestion for installing on your operating system would be the intel RAID controller because it is native, and not sitting out on the PCI bus with all your other peripherals.

go to intel's site, they have a handy little download to create a driver floppy for the intel RAID.

if you don't have a floppy, the good news is that your board will recognize a USB floppy drive as a boot device, and will recognize it as your A: drive during windows setup without any additional drivers.

thedude42 said:
on that note, the suggestion for installing on your operating system would be the intel RAID controller because it is native, and not sitting out on the PCI bus with all your other peripherals.

go to intel's site, they have a handy little download to create a driver floppy for the intel RAID.

if you don't have a floppy, the good news is that your board will recognize a USB floppy drive as a boot device, and will recognize it as your A: drive during windows setup without any additional drivers.

That's no different from the promise raid on there except that it's located a little lower than the intel raid. The promise raid is built right onto the mobo. You can use both the promise and intel for 2,3, or 4 hard drive combos.

cnick79 said:
That's no different from the promise raid on there except that it's located a little lower than the intel raid. The promise raid is built right onto the mobo.

actually, it's a huge difference. when the promise chip is soldered to the motherboard, it is attached to the south bridge (or IOCH in intel speak) throguh the PCI bus, just like it was a PCI card. on the other hand, the "on-chip" RAID that is the intel raid is part of the south bridge logic and has a true 150MB/s transfer between the SATA connectors and the south bridge. it doesn't run on the PCI bus and runs right up the interconnect bus in the hub archetecture to feed memory requests.

thedude42 said:
actually, it's a huge difference. when the promise chip is soldered to the motherboard, it is attached to the south bridge (or IOCH in intel speak) throguh the PCI bus, just like it was a PCI card. on the other hand, the "on-chip" RAID that is the intel raid is part of the south bridge logic and has a true 150MB/s transfer between the SATA connectors and the south bridge. it doesn't run on the PCI bus and runs right up the interconnect bus in the hub archetecture to feed memory requests.

Good to know. I thought the promise chip and intel operated in the same manner.

I suspect the thread starter has solved his problem since he's been silent for some time.

<PUSH HERE> to close thread.

Back