• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SATA and CPU overhead.

Rocket_Magnet

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
100
How is the CPU overhead for SATA compared to IDE, in large transfers? I'm intrested in upgrading to SATA, just thought I would ask and get some opinions on it, before I do. If there isn't any difference then I'll just stick with IDE for now.
 
Good question...I actually have never read anything that dealt with cpu overhead on HD's.

I know that SATA supports faster transfer rates (soon to be even better with SATA300) than IDE, that they are as fast or faster, and the wiring is MUCH thinner.

I don't think the cpu overhead really makes much of an impact, or I would have seen it mentioned by now.
 
you should see between 4 and 7 percent usage during full reads/writes...

cards with an onboard I/O processor drop this to the 1/2 % level.

cheers,

dave
 
I'm sure CPU usage is very similar between PATA and SATA. They both use the exact same command set and aren't really any different as far as the CPU is concerned. It's mostly physical layer (the wires and transceivers) that are different.
 
I'm almost positive I saw something about it at xbitlabs.com. Don't have time to look but I thought SATA was a bit higher in cpu usage.
 
Back
Top