SATA AHCI - ATAPI Incompatible

Ree

n00b
When I set SATA to AHCI mode, my SATA DVD drive generates "ATAPI Incompatible" error during POST. However, the drive is functioning absolutely fine in OS environment and BIOS detects it correctly. This error is not displayed if SATA mode is set to IDE.

I assume this error is not really a problem at all and is quite logical - SATA DVD drives are not AHCI capable (I think). It can probably be ignored. Am I right?

Running optical drives in AHCI does cause conflicts sometimes

As long as it works in the OS, and if you can boot to it outside of the OS, then you will be fine.

You may be able to check your motherboard's SATA ports. I ran into that same issue with a recent build, SATA to AHCI for performance, but the DVD+/-RW I had would not boot.

My motherboard had the option for SATA ports 1-4 AHCI and 5-6 IDE. So I was able to break them apart to allow my HDD to be AHCI and my DVD to be IDE which allow me to boot.

There are a lot of different variables, since I have other systems with all SATA ports set to AHCI and the Optical drives boot in those systems. Could have just been the DVD drive brand.
Though for SnG's I put the DVD drive back onto AHCI mode after Windows was installed and Windows recognized the drive, but again would not boot from the drive.

So just for compatibility sake (if you can change the SATA ports individually) you can leave your HDDs AHCI and your DVD drive IDE.

Back