SATA: 7,200 vs 10,000 RPMs

NIGHTMARE2

Gawd
I'm upgrading. Will I notice a great deal of performance boost if I get a 10,000 RPM over a 7,200 RPM SATA drive?

Thanks

You will see a marked performance increase during long file transfers, and long game and application loads. The performance difference is not exactly across-the-board; for example, during normal multitasking you might not notice a difference at all. It just depends on the types of activities you do most while using your computer.

Is it worth paying the near double difference for playing games like UT2004 and random MMO games?

it'll make the game load faster, thats about it.

i run a 15k SCSI drive because it "feels" faster, but i've also got a 200GB IDE drive for storage.

Originally posted by NIGHTMARE2
Is it worth paying the near double difference for playing games like UT2004 and random MMO games?
Are you unsatisfied right now? What do you have now?

A 7200 RPM drive, be it ATA-100/-133 or Serial ATA-150, will perform similarly to every other 7200 RPM drive, roughly. If you have one now, you won't likely notice a difference from what you have now.

In my mind, the only good rationale for buying a 10,000 RPM+ drive right now is a personal dissatisfaction with the current work environment in the areas of hard drive transfer rates and access times.

Back