• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SATA 1.5 or 3.0?

smut

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,441
Okay I have a question. Im getting a new sata drive but the most my mobo supports is 1.5. I was wondering if I bought a 3.0 if it is backward compatible with a sata 1.5 setup? the reason I want to get a 3.0 is to be a little more future proof so when I have upgrade my mobo to sata 3.0 I wont have to buy a new drive to take advantage of the extra speed. So basically if I get a 3.0gig drive will it still work in my 1.5 mobo?
 
smut said:
Okay I have a question. Im getting a new sata drive but the most my mobo supports is 1.5. I was wondering if I bought a 3.0 if it is backward compatible with a sata 1.5 setup? the reason I want to get a 3.0 is to be a little more future proof so when I have upgrade my mobo to sata 3.0 I wont have to buy a new drive to take advantage of the extra speed. So basically if I get a 3.0gig drive will it still work in my 1.5 mobo?
YES
 
In the [thread=921565]Sticky[/thread]
DougLite said:
SATA-IO also mandates backward comaptibility so that drives with advanced features will work with basic controllers and vice versa, the advanced features are simply disabled.
 
It will work but you arent future-proofing anything. The interface speed on a new mobo might support 3 GB sata, but that drive is still the same drive pumping out only 60-70MB/sec.

If it makes you feel better, yes a new motherboard can take advantage of the increased interface speed. ;)
 
THANKS hehe
I looked through the FAQ and couldnt find my answer but maybe I overlooked it.
If I did I apologize for having you waste three seconds of your life typing yes ;)

BTW is there any settings I would need to configure in BIOS or anything or does it automatically configure the drive to run at the slower speed?
 
smut said:
THANKS hehe
I looked through the FAQ and couldnt find my answer but maybe I overlooked it.
If I did I apologize for having you waste three seconds of your life typing yes ;)

BTW is there any settings I would need to configure in BIOS or anything or does it automatically configure the drive to run at the slower speed?

auto
 
Originally Posted by Bullitt

It will work but you arent future-proofing anything. The interface speed on a new mobo might support 3 GB sata, but that drive is still the same drive pumping out only 60-70MB/sec.
Okay a little confused about what you said. I was pretty much in the know about the first standard of sata but I been outta the loop for a short while and out of the computer scene and all of this new shyt with sata is confusing to me. If I buy the newer standard of sata drives im not future proofing for the new system im currently peicing together? Im gonna get the 3.0 sata II standard now that I know they are backwards compatible so wouldnt that be better in the long run when I upgrade the mobo?
 
smut said:
Okay a little confused about what you said. If I buy the newer standard of sata drives im not future proofing for the new system im currently peicing together? Im gonna get the 3.0 standard now that I know they are backwards compatible so wouldnt that be better in the long run when I upgrade the mobo?

There isn’t really an SATA drive that I know of that exceeds the limit of first gen SATA. If SATA can handle up to 150MB/sec, and your drive can only read/write at 60-70, then upgrading the spec to 300MB/sec changes nothing. It would be like getting a thicker garden hose without adjusting the water valve at all. Your hose might be 2x as thick but that doesn’t mean the water flow has really changed.

I mean, I believe that the entire bandwidth available to the PCI bus is 133MB/sec (Less than max SATA speed), yet I’ve seen someone running 15,000rpm SCSI drives off a 32bit/33Mhz (standard) PCI-bus SCSI controller and it simply owned everything.

You would be future proofing your system if you bought a motherboard that supported the newer spec, with the idea that you might get a drive one day that can take advantage of it.
 
Okay thanks for the explantion. The analogy was helpul. I was just confused with all the new sata jargon, I was used to the first gen sata drives because like I said ive been out the loop for awhile and kinda fell behind in the newest tech.

But I mean if the price difference isnt much it would make sense to buy the best drive that has the newest standards (sata II and 3gb "speed") correct since it is backwards compatible with my sata 1 1.5gb speed mobo? Thanks for your help guys.
 
Buy the newer drive because it uses better technology.

It has a higher platter density. :)

If all things are equal (rotational speed/cache/interface) a disk with higher platter density will give faster throughput because instead of (example here) the drive having to spin 1 revolution to read/write 1MB of data, it can read/write that 1MB of data in less than 1 spin.


Think of it this way, how many swapping of CD's would you have to do if you were to read 1GB of data? If its a CD, you'd have to put in 2 CD's. If it were a DVD you'd have to put in 1 dvd disc. They are the same size (physically) , but the density (capacity) of the data is higher on the dvd thus giving you faster input of the data (because your arm only puts in 1 disc versus 2 discs).
 
Thanks for all the tips/info guys. It was much appreciated. :)

edit ; and my bad to the mod for asking a question that was in one of the stickys. I read them but missed it.
 
I would gladly take that over cleaning up a flame war in Video Cards. You guys in Disk Storage Systems are angels by comparison.
 
Back
Top