Looking at a chassis for a storage server, something on the order of 20 disks. I'm hoping to clarify my understanding of some things, especially in the area of the backplane. Specifically, I'm hoping someone can review the below and let me know if my thinking is off anywhere.
I understand that an internal backplane (to support hot-swap etc.) can have different connectors to support SAS disks (data and power), SATA, or in the case of something like SFF 8482, the backplane can support either sort of disk. The backplane itself is not intelligent; it still needs to be plugged into a RAID controller that supports SAS or SATA. There are controllers for SAS, for SATA or for both. For every drive connected to the backplane, there will be a cable from the "inside surface" of the backplane to the controller, and possibly another to the power supply for power. So the backplane merely permits hot-swap without having to crack open the case--convenience feature.
Therefore if I wanted to keep my options open over a five year horizon and still shoot for hot swappability, I should look at a chassis with a backplane that supports both types of drives (e.g. SFF 8482 connectors) connected to a controller that supports SAS and SATA. Then in theory I may be able to mix and match. However, I should not expect to create a physical RAID volume that spans a heterogenous mix of SAS and SATA disks; if I do mix up my disk types, I might end up having RAID volumes based off the SAS spindles and other RAID volumes based off the SATA spindles.
Also, if I'm looking at the popular and inexpensive Norco 4020 case, that's SATA only so no point in SAS. If I want a case with comparable number of drive bays that uses SATA-compatible SAS connectors on the backplane, I'm going to spend far more money for it. (But how much more? Any suggestions?)
Lastly, if I want to eschew a hot-swap backplane altogether, then my choices open up greatly: I simply buy a server case with enough internal drive bays (one of the Lian Li monsters perhaps) and I can mix and match spindle types to my heart's content, as long as I have appropriate controllers off the bus to provide ports. The cabling will be messier and I may not have hot swap (or is hot swap possible with some sort of tray??) but the chassis itself won't limit me to any particular data transfer protocol.
Does this all make sense?
I understand that an internal backplane (to support hot-swap etc.) can have different connectors to support SAS disks (data and power), SATA, or in the case of something like SFF 8482, the backplane can support either sort of disk. The backplane itself is not intelligent; it still needs to be plugged into a RAID controller that supports SAS or SATA. There are controllers for SAS, for SATA or for both. For every drive connected to the backplane, there will be a cable from the "inside surface" of the backplane to the controller, and possibly another to the power supply for power. So the backplane merely permits hot-swap without having to crack open the case--convenience feature.
Therefore if I wanted to keep my options open over a five year horizon and still shoot for hot swappability, I should look at a chassis with a backplane that supports both types of drives (e.g. SFF 8482 connectors) connected to a controller that supports SAS and SATA. Then in theory I may be able to mix and match. However, I should not expect to create a physical RAID volume that spans a heterogenous mix of SAS and SATA disks; if I do mix up my disk types, I might end up having RAID volumes based off the SAS spindles and other RAID volumes based off the SATA spindles.
Also, if I'm looking at the popular and inexpensive Norco 4020 case, that's SATA only so no point in SAS. If I want a case with comparable number of drive bays that uses SATA-compatible SAS connectors on the backplane, I'm going to spend far more money for it. (But how much more? Any suggestions?)
Lastly, if I want to eschew a hot-swap backplane altogether, then my choices open up greatly: I simply buy a server case with enough internal drive bays (one of the Lian Li monsters perhaps) and I can mix and match spindle types to my heart's content, as long as I have appropriate controllers off the bus to provide ports. The cabling will be messier and I may not have hot swap (or is hot swap possible with some sort of tray??) but the chassis itself won't limit me to any particular data transfer protocol.
Does this all make sense?