sas specific drives

I see that seagate has come out with a 7200 spin SAS drive, but I don't see any from WD. As seagate has been having massive quality control problems recently, I'd much prefer to buy this type of drive from WD. Anyone know if WD is coming out with SAS drives anytime soon?

for that matter, has anyone used the seagate sas drive yet?

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...7f43110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&reqPage=Model

I have quite of few of these up and running at work, anything specific you interested in?

I haven't seen or heard of any pre-mature failures on these drives and we've had them for a few months now if not longer.

WD does not make SAS drives, and I dont see them doing it in the future

it looks like seagate is the only one in this space. Any idea how these drives are performing? how long have they been out? is anyone else at all making 7200 spin SAS drives?

Just because they say that they are enterprise drives, doesn't mean you really see them in an enterprise environment. The RAID edition drives just have TLER enabled on them and are no different from the desktop counterparts (you can download the TLER utility too if you want).

Just because they say that they are enterprise drives, doesn't mean you really see them in an enterprise environment.

and that is where you are wrong. I've seen plenty of WD drives in rackable systems

http://www.rackable.com/

I would tell you who I know uses those systems, if it weren't for me talking about things that would get me fired. suffice to say I'm not here to bullshit.

There are always exceptions. Why don't you ask the people here who are network administrators for a living and see how many WD drives they have in their racks. Where is AreEss when you need him? :p

ok day in and day out I test retired servers from some of the biggest boys in computing... in these retired servers I've seen PLENTY of WD drives. I've seen literally THOUSANDS. like I said I'm not here to bullshit. I'm 100% accurate about what I'm telling you.

if you say so

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/releases/PressRelease.asp?release={EF42E31B-B16D-40A2-B704-5CAAC5F2CE38}

and that is where you are wrong. I've seen plenty of WD drives in rackable systems

http://www.rackable.com/

I would tell you who I know uses those systems, if it weren't for me talking about things that would get me fired. suffice to say I'm not here to bullshit.

Are you kidding?
Come on get a grip d00d.

OMG someone is selling a server with WD hard drives in them.
That does not make them an enterprise product.

Go to an enterprise environment, and go count how many servers have WD drives in them.
Im betting you wont find too many if any.

They are the same drives as their Caviar counterparts. They just have TLER enabled.

None of the major Vendors, even offer WD sata harddrives for their servers.
WHY? cause they are not enterprise products.

Are you kidding?
Come on get a grip d00d.

OMG someone is selling a server with WD hard drives in them.
That does not make them an enterprise product.

Go to an enterprise environment, and go count how many servers have WD drives in them.
Im betting you wont find too many if any.

They are the same drives as their Caviar counterparts. They just have TLER enabled.

None of the major Vendors, even offer WD sata harddrives for their servers.
WHY? cause they are not enterprise products.

Go ahead and read the post above yours. I test retired servers EVERY FLIPPIN DAY. I've seen more than my fair share of WD drives from this "enterprise environment" you speak of. OMG like I'm here to lie to you for money or some shit!

I've seen Compaq/HP Proliants with shit tons of them.

Agree to disagree.

I mean where I work we manage several thousand computers. and we dont have WD in any servers or our SANS.

Agree to disagree.

I mean where I work we manage several thousand computers. and we dont have WD in any servers or our SANS.

I've got a pallet of poweredge servers with 2 WD 80gb drives in them if you'd like pictures.

as I said I test servers and many other things every day. we also specialize in drive sales. we have customers who seek dell, compaq, hp, ibm "branded" drives. they aren't really drives made by any of those companies. more often than not it's just a special firmware they have just for dell or who ever.

again, if my answers don't satisfy you I can provide an abundance of picts of these servers with WD drives

Western digital does make enterprise drives... IBM, EMC, HP and Netapp use the RE series in their SAN and Servers (where applicable). They are enterprise 7200rpm drives but enterprise != a requirement for 15k RPM, its all about the higher MTBF, higher binning, and tuning for enterprise IO loads (Most SAN vendors have custom firmware that is loaded onto the RE series based on their array setup). Look at the spec sheets on the RE series and compare with regular consumer drives, higher MTBF, much higher rated start/stop duty cycle, and the biggest thing non-recoverable error rate is lower by a full zero less than 10 to 15 instead of 10 to the 14th.

Not sure what kind of disk arrays you are running at work Nitrobass but WD RE series are probably some of the most common SATA/FATA drives used in SAN these days. That being said the failure rate is definately higher than 15k SAS/SCSI drives but hell they are insanely cheap per GB which means you allocate more hot spares to compensate. SATA has its place for bulk storage in the enterprise and hence the reason WD makes drives rated for those duty cycles. There is a definite difference in quality too as we've run some fiber attached SAS arrays with consumer SATA drives (in our test lab to save costs) and the drop rate on the consumer drives regardless of brand is probably 2-3 times that of RE series we run in our IBM, Netapp, and EMC SAN.

Oh and SAN plural is still SAN... ;)

Agree to disagree.

I see thousands of servers built every month and, contrary to what people are saying in this thread, WD RE drives are definitely used in enterprise solutions.

ok, i'm getting ready to buy 5 of these SAS 1tb drives from seagate to run in a full raid 6 configuration. Hope you guys are steering me in the right direction. :)

Back