Sas Daisy Chain not working

You have to understand how SAS works, it is an active connection. A good read is here. Stupid questions first, do you have the out and in connectors properly setup? HBA -=> Enclosure 1 In -=> Enclosure 1 Out -=> Enclosure 2 In? Is this a SAS-2 device, or a SAS-1 device (which can complicate things further with cabling, as there are differences between edge expanders and fanout expanders and the routing intricacies of cascading)
 
I got two sff-8088 cables. And it should be sas 1 as tje adaptec only can do sas 1.

I go hBA out - enc 1 in - enc 1 out - enc 2 In
 
I don't know the particular enclosure you have, but chances are you need keyed cables. If you look at the top of your cable, do you have a diamond shaped cutout? Look at the 4th pic in this link.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If it was keyed, they wouldn't be able to insert the cable.

Well there is Keyed and Multikeyed that I have seen.

Page 17 here shows normal keyed ones (eg in and out)
http://www.stanzabike.net/images/SAS_Docs/SAS_IG.pdf

Tho I have also got some that are multi...

eg this one
IMG_0837.JPG


Hence why I asked if he has the correct cables or not.

.
 
Last edited:
If it was keyed, they wouldn't be able to insert the cable.

It should be that way, unfortunately we got a whole bunch of HP and Netapp shelves back during the time SAS-2 was being rolled out where they used the "connector of the month" and you could. That was a head-scratcher for a while
 
so - i got it working with an lsi 3801e - but sadly this one only works with 2tb drives :(

so any idea why the hell the adaptec doesnt get it working ?

stefan
 
Back
Top