• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SAS connector = 4x SATA automatically?

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
91
So I've been looking at server board and I often see some of them having a SAS connector. Base on my previous experience with SAS (Dell Perc6i), I can connect a SAS-to-4xSATA cable so I can use normal drives.

Is this true for all SAS connectors or perhaps these are limited to certain connectors/controllers like the one on the Perc6i?

Thanks! :)
 
So I've been looking at server board and I often see some of them having a SAS connector. Base on my previous experience with SAS (Dell Perc6i), I can connect a SAS-to-4xSATA cable so I can use normal drives.

Is this true for all SAS connectors or perhaps these are limited to certain connectors/controllers like the one on the Perc6i?

Thanks! :)
Depends on the card and the connector. I've got an old HP sas card that is 1:1 and only supports sas (no sata). Now if you're talking about a card with a sff-8087 connector then yes, that's usually 4 lanes, and *most* hbas that support sas also support sata.
 
Forgot to add, the cables are directional, so make sure you're getting a 1x sff-8087 -> 4x sata breakout cable. The reverse breakout cables aren't as common, but they do exist.
 
Back
Top