SAS connector = 4x SATA automatically?

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
So I've been looking at server board and I often see some of them having a SAS connector. Base on my previous experience with SAS (Dell Perc6i), I can connect a SAS-to-4xSATA cable so I can use normal drives.

Is this true for all SAS connectors or perhaps these are limited to certain connectors/controllers like the one on the Perc6i?

Thanks! :)

So I've been looking at server board and I often see some of them having a SAS connector. Base on my previous experience with SAS (Dell Perc6i), I can connect a SAS-to-4xSATA cable so I can use normal drives.

Is this true for all SAS connectors or perhaps these are limited to certain connectors/controllers like the one on the Perc6i?

Thanks! :)
Depends on the card and the connector. I've got an old HP sas card that is 1:1 and only supports sas (no sata). Now if you're talking about a card with a sff-8087 connector then yes, that's usually 4 lanes, and *most* hbas that support sas also support sata.

Forgot to add, the cables are directional, so make sure you're getting a 1x sff-8087 -> 4x sata breakout cable. The reverse breakout cables aren't as common, but they do exist.

Back