Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X 4GB Graphics Card

Think it's worth $55 though?

Maybe. I paid $20 for an HR-09 for the VRMs on my card- thats just passive air cooling. I dont get temps anywhere near what that thing would net me. Then again, that will only work on the 290.. this thing can be used with a lot of cards.

What games do you play, and when did you get your card?
Its 2-3 months old by now I'm guessing. I have a video of it. Its nothing like regular artifacting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJFd0jL35fI

But it only happens in games, with voltage >+150mV

Its odd because furmark and OCCT use muuch more power, and yet I dont even get errors in OCCT. (Yet if I lower the voltage, I will.. and have visible artifacting)

I figure its something to do with power delivery on the card. But thats not my area of expertise :p

Yup, FPS lock doesnt seem to matter much.

Heres a second, poor video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Je1jBHrqc

It seems the GPU is still... "rendering" but somehow is spending 200w doing nothing but outputting a black screen at points.

oh btw, im stupid and didnt realize i wasnt moving due to bunnyhop prevention - lol!, and i did not fart at 1:07!

also forgive the obnoxiously loud keyboard.

Im in the process of RMAing the PSU however CoolerMaster cant cross ship except by phone, and their phone support is down with no estimate for when it will work again.

Its already proven by few users, and reviews that Tri X is the card to get atm from the AMD camp, it destroy all other cards overall.

try disabling ULPS, and raise the power limit to max?

Unfortunately its not that either. I just tried disabling ULPS and right away the screen faded to black, and I'm currently on a BIOS with no power limit (but the issue still exists on normal BIOS)

I'll have to try the regular R9 290 BIOS soon to see if its something to do with the card being unlocked?

Looking for the performance BIOS for this card. If anyone knows where I can down load it at please share. I want to try the BIOS out on my non Tri-X card.

Try some other BIOS-es, there should be many at TPU.

Hm, well, I tried a regular R9 290 BIOS (Actually, a mislabeled "HIS 290x BIOS") and found that I could run +200mV and 1200MHz without any of the blackscreening issues in a few minutes of gameplay. 1225 yielded fade to black (and then of course the image came back as normal in a few seconds to a minute)

Also tried a Powercolor 1030MHz 290x BIOS, and with +200 and 1200MHz it black screens. +175 didnt seem to but that may be a fluke and with extended gameplay it will. Sure is odd...

I tried to match power consumption to see if the 290x bios just hit a limit earlier, hinting at PSU or VRM issues... but the R9 290 with +200 and 1200MHz stayed around 210W in BF4, no frame limit. The R9 290X bios with +175 and 1200MHz was ~190W.... so that isnt it.

I dont mean to threadcrap here... if I should open my own thread I will.

Even 1180 has occasional "fade to black" with the voltage. If I do something like +200mV and 1150 core, it will also fade to black. However +100mV and 1150 core has no issues. Its just very odd to me, and of course disappointing that the card OCs so poor under water.

You got more than I did, I had one card that would do 1150 max under water, the other 1125. Was disappointed to say the least, they would both do 1100 with the fan at 80%.

Can't wait to get ahold of one of these to test it's ability to hash; I have tested two of the 280x toxics... They are amazingly great hashers...

You got more than I did, I had one card that would do 1150 max under water, the other 1125. Was disappointed to say the least, they would both do 1100 with the fan at 80%.

Wow :(

Its such a bummer after having a 7950 that could almost do 1300, but it had a temp wall of like 40c.. probably would have done 1400+ if I had a chiller, that thing was a beast but just liked low temps.

Total opposite for R9 290(X)

Isn't the VRM still too high? Been out of the GPU game for awhile now....
89C under sustained load is hot but not bad. Generally todays VRMs do fine up to around 100C before you start running into reliability/stability issues though they're supposed to tolerate 105C before they fail.

Depending on the exact component most are at max spec when at 125C.
The high temp stuff yea. If they cheap out though... Always assume they're gonna cheap out.

89C under sustained load is hot but not bad. Generally todays VRMs do fine up to around 100C before you start running into reliability/stability issues though they're supposed to tolerate 105C before they fail.

Pretty sure they are supposed to handle 120C before they fail, at 105 they run just fine.

There is fail and there is fail. 120C is usually the temp where they start to burn out, but you can get stability and reliability issues well before you reach that temp. They also tend to wear out faster if you continuously run them near or at their limit. Remember: most people will RMA a card once it starts BSOD'ing or black screening every other day, it doesn't have to be totally dead or on fire to call it broken.

To use a bad car analogy: just because your car motor CAN run at 8K rpm and achieves its peak power out put at that rpm doesn't mean you SHOULD run it wide open throttle all the time everywhere you go. If you try to you'll just end up blowing up the motor or the transmission or both fairly quickly.

Googling a bit it seems like they are rated for 150c.

If they make the the core run at 95c on reference cards, the VRMs sure as hell wont die or take damage from just above 100c.

To use a bad car analogy: just because your car motor CAN run at 8K rpm and achieves its peak power out put at that rpm doesn't mean you SHOULD run it wide open throttle all the time everywhere you go. If you try to you'll just end up blowing up the motor or the transmission or both fairly quickly.

Pretty much how every scooter in the world works. You'd think someone would have noticed by now. Design matters too much in these matters to make blanket statements.

Ok guys, some results for you :)

Card is amazing....

91 fps with 8XMSAA, totally maxed out Warhead :D

3Wwsg10.jpg

Metro LL ~ 52 fps 4XSAA totally maxed out

ijcS9P0.jpg

FS EX

Fvy8tG7.jpg

Heaven 4.0 maxed out

Ejt842G.jpg

VRM temps never go over 85c, with 100mv on core and ~ 50mV on MC (aux voltage) and fans @70-75%, average vrm temps during gaming is 70-80c.

I strongly recommend to not increase aux voltage on this cards, it produce much load on the vrm's for some reason....use it only if you MUST.

Pretty much how every scooter in the world works. You'd think someone would have noticed by now. Design matters too much in these matters to make blanket statements.
Except scooters are known to fail pretty regularly and their only saving grace is they tend to use very simple 2 stroke motors that are easy to fix and service. Or at least they did. Newer ones all seem to be moving to 4 stroke motors.

Back