Sapphire Nitro RX 480 preorders seem to be up on Amazon.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 480 8GB GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP 11260-07-20G is $269.
https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rad...ie=UTF8&qid=1469453743&sr=8-2&keywords=rx+480

Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 480 4GB GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP OC 11260-02-20G is $229.
https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rad...ie=UTF8&qid=1469453743&sr=8-1&keywords=rx+480

Amazon is taking preorders for these it seems. I expect them to be hard to get. Thus I'm just trying to help some guys to get cheap cards before the buzzards buy them all for EBAY.

How did I figure out that they were on Amazon? Searched for RX 480. Then changed the box on the top right from "Relevance" to "Newest Arrivals". Saw this on Reddit. ;)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
Didn't know that. Thanks! I'll fix the OP. Darn I wanted a binned card too! :)

They're binned to hit their rated boost clocks. If you're implying that they cannot hit their advertised speeds... you're on your own there.

Not even remotely close to what I stated. I never implied anything of the sort. Just stating that Sapphire binned their allotment. Those that could hit 1342 at the desired voltage are marked as Nitro+ OC. Everything else is "just" a Nitro+ and hits 1306.

They're "binned" in the sense that they're in the lower of two bins. But as per Sapphire, the real binned card, the one chosen for higher factory overclocks, is the Nitro+ OC.

What would be cool (I'm not sure if they discontinued this line of their cards or not) is if Sapphire released a Toxic RX480 model that could hit 1500 MHz. That would be sick, and I would be all over that!

i'll wait for the binned one, but i'm definitely grabbing 2x of these to replace my 7970 xfire setup. i have amazon credit and some part money aside. only bummer is i think i'll lose the cool rgb since I am set up for watercooled xfire.

What would be cool (I'm not sure if they discontinued this line of their cards or not) is if Sapphire released a Toxic RX480 model that could hit 1500 MHz. That would be sick, and I would be all over that!

Unlikely. First, no one is hitting 1500 stable, even with LN2. So an aftermarket card isn't going to do that. Second, it would be priced prohibitively. We already see RX 480s hitting $300 (Amazon listing for the Strix). No one in their right mind is going to pay well over $300 for an RX 480 with the GTX 1070 inching closer to the $380 MSRP.

Yeah, I know it's unrealistic. Just a fantasy of mine to have a Toxic card again. My 280x toxics were da bomb!

Is 1400MHz more realistic on this cards?

i'll wait for the binned one, but i'm definitely grabbing 2x of these to replace my 7970 xfire setup. i have amazon credit and some part money aside. only bummer is i think i'll lose the cool rgb since I am set up for watercooled xfire.
LEDs or bust!

LEDs or bust!

lol even after my new era mod on my case, its still covered in lights and shit, i know minimalist is sorta a thing now but i still like the era of everything glows.

that said, depending on what these come in at and the options for watercooling i may be forced to look at the 1070s in sli or limp along to vega. the watercooling setup is half built into my case so i'd like to keep using it

Is 1400MHz more realistic on this cards?

Not sustained. Let me explain.

AMD base/boost clocks aren't like Nvidia's. Reference is 1120/1266, but depending on the game tends to hover below 1200. That's due to power limitations. It seems to have a hard cap of 165W. The ASUS Strix caps at 175W, so even with the mild OC to 1310, it still hovers below boost but outperforms reference by a small amount.

The Sapphire Nitro+ OC has a 1342mhz boost and uses about 220W. It sustains boost clocks better. But overclocking beyond 1400 gives minimal benefit because it can't sustain that boost clock. Basically, if it runs at 1340 in a specific scene, you could raise the boost to 1400, 1500, 1800, whatever, and it would still run at 1340 in that scene.

Getting a sustained 1400+ boost clock is going to require 8+6-pin and more power. Between the GTX 1060/1070/1080 and the RX 480, the Nitro+ OC has the highest sustained power draw of any new card.

Last edited:
Not sustained. Let me explain.

AMD base/boost clocks aren't like Nvidia's. Reference is 1120/1266, but depending on the game tends to hover below 1200. That's due to power limitations. It seems to have a hard cap of 165W. The ASUS Strix caps at 175W, so even with the mild OC to 1310, it still hovers below boost but outperforms reference by a small amount.

The Sapphire Nitro+ OC has a 1342mhz boost and uses about 220W. It sustain boost clocks better. But overclocking beyond 1400 gives minimal benefit because it can't sustain that boost clock. Basically, if it runs at 1340 in a specific scene, you could raise the boost to 1400, 1500, 1800, whatever, and it would still run at 1340 in that scene.

Getting a sustained 1400+ boost clock is going to require 8+6-pin and more power. Between the GTX 1060/1070/1080 and the RX 480, the Nitro+ OC has the highest sustained power draw of any new card.
Ahh I see. Well that explains my completely absurd claims above... my complete ignorance on what's going on with these cards!:rolleyes::p

Well written and explained good sir!

lol even after my new era mod on my case, its still covered in lights and shit, i know minimalist is sorta a thing now but i still like the era of everything glows.

that said, depending on what these come in at and the options for watercooling i may be forced to look at the 1070s in sli or limp along to vega. the watercooling setup is half built into my case so i'd like to keep using it
I'm torn the same way man. My room is at the end of the hallway, and I can't help it, but I just love having all the lights off upstairs and walking down the hallway towards the red glow with blue flickering lights from my computer.:alien::blackalien::alien: I have an NZXT Hue (red orange custom color setting), Crucial Tactical Tracer RAM (blue activity LEDs on the top of the modules with orange LEDs tracing the slot connections), and two red led aerocool 120mm fans in the front of the case.

My most "minimalist" case is a bitfenix prodigy with a blue acrylic side (that you can see through) with a black light (or UV? :pompous: IDK which one). You can barely see the outline of the parts inside of the case but the part I ABSOLUTELY love is the PSU extensions (ensourced) that I bought for my 780 ti. THEY GLOW GREEN!:smuggrin::D

It's more conservative but still pretty sweet without being too flashy.:happy::D:cool:

P.S. Yes, I know I :ninja: overuse the emojis.:p

All of the 480's are FreeSync compatible. Just cards from the 7000 series era and further back are too old for FreeSync technology while gaming.

Back