SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 Fury 4GB HBM TRI-X OC+ $285 after Coupon

This is my current GPU solution and it's great for my preferred in game settings.

1080p, 144hz and HIGH settings.

Much better value than a well cooled RX 480. I would know since I've had a few of those too.

Last edited:
Dangit, I was thinking of jumping ship, but since OP pointed out its only for a loyalist, I guess I cant buy this one :( Guess Ill stick with my GTX 1070 then :/

Dangit, I was thinking of jumping ship, but since OP pointed out its only for a loyalist, I guess I cant buy this one :( Guess Ill stick with my GTX 1070 then :/

I never said "ONLY" on the original post.
If there wasn't a 1070 or 980ti available I would totally buy 2 of these cards.

You would be dumb to dump a 1070 for this. The OP has a point, if you are gaming above 1080p, 4gb has trouble these days.

You would be dumb to dump a 1070 for this. The OP has a point, if you are gaming above 1080p, 4gb has trouble these days.

First, the R9 Fury has no sich issues. Also, I took it as sarcasm anyways.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
1070's are ~ $350-$360 @ jet.

That's far from accurate. One 1070 is 360 ish, and that's with a new account only. And if you already have accounts, you run the chance of them banning your accounts if you get flagged. It's a deal but there are some caveats.

For that price, how does this stack up against the "higher end" 1060s?

no such things as higher end 1060. seriously they all clock the same, so it would be a waste to get a 1060 for 300 vs a 1060 for 250. Unless ofcourse the nicer cooler is a must for you.

I bought this for $309. Saw it for $289 a week or so ago.

Been gaming at 1440p downscaled. Getting about 70fps avg in fallout 4, but dips in those demanding areas.

The 4gb doesn't bottleneck... yet, at least.

AMD dedicated a few engineers to optimizing ram usage. In my feeble layman's understanding,the bandwidth allows for data to be strategically moved around from GRAM to system ram efdiciently--they have special drivers for it.

People have reported that games that normally use more VRAM use significantly less on the fury cards. My estimation is that because of this 4gb hbm equals about 6gb regular g-ram.

I don't think 1440p is an issue for this card for a good while.

The cooling is phenomenal. I literally gamed for a few hours and the fans didn't even kick in. Stayed below 70 degrees. The thing is completely silent.

I love it--amd's best card last year. Not most powerful but the best.

For the Money if you like AMD or have a good Freesync monitor might be a good investment.
This one "competes" with the 980Ti and 1070 but it is not faster, it's definitive faster than any RX480 or 1060.
Just make sure you have a big enough case and a juicy power supply.

PS. There is an Bios MOD that you can run and Unlock all the streams processors from 3584 to 4096, it is a hit or miss thing.
also there is the Coil whine some of these cards are plagued with.

For the Money if you like AMD or have a good Freesync monitor might be a good investment.
This one "competes" with the 980Ti and 1070 but it is not faster, it's definitive faster than any RX480 or 1060.
Just make sure you have a big enough case and a juicy power supply.

PS. There is an Bios MOD that you can run and Unlock all the streams processors from 3584 to 4096, it is a hit or miss thing.
also there is the Coil whine some of these cards are plagued with.
The nitro was designed to combat the coil whine issue that the first tri-x had.

I haven't noticed it personally.

Well, I have been extremely pleased with the R9 Fury Nitro+ I have had since early August. (The only issue being I got it for $50 more than what you can get them consistently for now.) Also, my card did not have unlockable stream processors at all. :( If anyone chooses to buy one, I believe you would be very happy with it. (Especially since Vulkan and games built from the ground up with DX 12 work very well on it.)

LOL... No way.

Only reason 1060 approaches the Fury is because more games are better optimized for 1060. Even then the Fury starts performing much, much better at high resolutions.

Where the 1060 arbitrarily beats the Fury... It's on 1080p, an Nvidia optimized game, and by a slim margin. Fury gets a major win at higher resolutions, amd optimized games... By a big margin. And it can crossfire if you got a good power supply.

It's the best price: performance card right now by my estimation. Most underrated card of last year.

Last edited:
Referencing only Linux performance on a WinPC-centric enthusiast site because... it's what you use.

That's some nice trolling right there.

Yeah I doubt most people care about Linux. I mean, I know steamOS brought a lot of titles to Linux but even then most won't care.

LOL... No way.

Only reason 1060 approaches the Fury is because more games are better optimized for 1060. Even then the Fury starts performing much, much better at high resolutions.

Where the 1060 arbitrarily beats the Fury... It's on 1080p, an Nvidia optimized game, and by a slim margin. Fury gets a major win at higher resolutions, amd optimized games... By a big margin. And it can crossfire if you got a good power supply.

It's the best price: performance card right now by my estimation. Most underrated card of last year.

Small clarification: it was NOT underrated last year, when it was overpriced at $70 higher than the GTX 980. It's only thanks to thew GTX 1070 that this baby is priced the way it is, since it's about 20% slower than that 1070.

Yeah I doubt most people care about Linux. I mean, I know steamOS brought a lot of titles to Linux but even then most won't care.

Why Linux matters is that it is an "out" if Microsoft does more stupid stuff with Win10 (FWIW: I have a windows gaming box with an R9-290). With current performance on (many) amd cards, steam/linux isn't an option and your video card is pretty much "win only" for decent performance.

Small clarification: it was NOT underrated last year, when it was overpriced at $70 higher than the GTX 980. It's only thanks to thew GTX 1070 that this baby is priced the way it is, since it's about 20% slower than that 1070.
It was underrated because few people actually bought them.

Yes the R9 Nitro Fury will out perform the best RX480 in any Test.
That includes Power Draw and Case space requirements :p
Not a horrible deal for $285 with promo code.

Last week it was $254.99 with the masterpass code and its $279.99 if your local microcenter has the stock.

Its beyond shitty that this card is the single Fury based card that uses a custom PCB, which means no fullcover GPU blocks..I found some EK blocks on sale new for $66 and nearly bought a Nitro from a member here until he was kind enough to inform me that the Nitro will not work with a fullcover block...Still a kick ass card, just sucks for those of us that WC...One of my 290s died and my single one @ 1.275Ghz/5.4Ghz isn't enough for 60FPS minimums @ 1440P..

Just snagged this. Can't wait to own a new video card after so many years!

I bought this for $309. Saw it for $289 a week or so ago.

Been gaming at 1440p downscaled. Getting about 70fps avg in fallout 4, but dips in those demanding areas.

The 4gb doesn't bottleneck... yet, at least.

AMD dedicated a few engineers to optimizing ram usage. In my feeble layman's understanding,the bandwidth allows for data to be strategically moved around from GRAM to system ram efdiciently--they have special drivers for it.

People have reported that games that normally use more VRAM use significantly less on the fury cards. My estimation is that because of this 4gb hbm equals about 6gb regular g-ram.

I don't think 1440p is an issue for this card for a good while.

The cooling is phenomenal. I literally gamed for a few hours and the fans didn't even kick in. Stayed below 70 degrees. The thing is completely silent.

I love it--amd's best card last year. Not most powerful but the best.

Been gaming at 4k with 2 fury x for around a year now. I came from 4gb ddr5 cards, and 4gb hbm uses less vram than ddr5 4gb. 4gb hbm performs like 6gb ddr5 in my experience as well

I play in 1440p and I will be coming from 2gb of vram so this should make the stuttering much better. Especially since it is a single card solution.

I play in 1440p and I will be coming from 2gb of vram so this should make the stuttering much better. Especially since it is a single card solution.

Better stuttering? Don't you mean reduce? ;) :D This card also has HBM which is really fast.

I just picked this card up at 250 bucks, at that price it's absolutely worth it for sure. The Tri-X cards that unlock have been selling for 225. I actually had one and returned it for this due to it being a refurbished product. I'm much happier knowing I'm protected by a three year warranty. Anyway, this card is amazing for my old 1920x1200 screen. I'm playing rocket league with 4k DSR locked at 60. Rise of the tomb raider I'm near maxed and get some dips into the mid 40s at worst. And I'm dabbling with the latest witcher expansion, I can run that maxed(no hair works) at 2560x1600 downscaled and stay at 60+. This price seems a touch too high, but at 250 it's a no brainer.

I have not noticed any coil whine, I run it in a corsair 600t with quite a few fans, so that may be why. My experience thus far is really excellent. My only issue will be in the summer time, this thing pumps out heat into my room when OCed. It's not bad at stock, but if you raise the power limit and add a few MV, you can really feel the warmth from this sucker.

Now that I can use free sync it is totally messed up. The screen flickers whenever I play a game in full screen. Tried uninstalling drivers and using ddu in safe mode.
Monitor is a BenQ xl2730z.
Colors seem a bit blurry and washed but I'm sure I just need to mess with settings. Other than that it seems pretty cool.

I need to update firmware on my monitor. Ugh
Means I have to send it to BenQ for two weeks or buy a $55 device to do it myself. Unless someone here has one I can loan from them for a day?

Back