Sapphire HD6870 going crazy

Bugalaman

Really a Ugandachick
I recently moved to Korea (the USAF sent me) and just got my shipment of personal stuff which included my computer. Here are the specs:
i7 2600K
P8P67 (rev 3.0)
Sapphire HD 6860
16GB (4x4gb) Corsair Dominator
OCZ vertex II 60GB
WD Black 1TB
PCP&C Silencer 750w
Rocketfish Full tower case (rebranded Lian-Li)
Win7

I was relieved to see it boot up initially, but after running anything that strains the GPU, it goes completely ape shit. The video looks to go out of sync. There is a line right down the middle of the monitor, dividing the video in half. It also starts to get crazy artifacts and changes to seizure inducing color patterns. Either my computer is taking LSD or the video card went bad during the move. I think the issue has to do with the power into the card. Whenever I move the power connection, it makes the video fluctuate between crazy colors and out of sync picture. Nothing on the card or motherboard look to be damaged. The PSU connecton looks fine, as does the power jacks on the card. Maybe the card's PCB is jacked up. I'm not looking forward to RMAing stuff when it takes 2 weeks to get mail. Has anyone had video cards act all crazy like this?

Shipping an intact system overseas can be problematic. First make sure you remove the video card, blow out any dust in the slot, then make sure it seats firmly in the slot. If that doesn't work you may want to disassemble the system and reassemble because there may have been a lot of shaking in transport. Large CPU heatsinks, etc may need to be reseated and power connections may be loose some place in the system. Memory, etc all should be reseated properly. Make sure the possibly simple physical problems have been eliminated then see if the video card is going flaky on you after that.

Well if all else fails, you can try baking your card. What I would try is a different video card and a different power circuit with a surge suppressor that cleans the line. And of course as Direfox suggested, complete from-scratch reassembly of your system.

I feel your frustration Bugalaman. Something like that would really get me sweating up and teary eyed. :(

try underclocking gpu core and memory and see if it helps

I would try a different slot on the motherboard also. Try different drivers.

I was in Korea in the AF you in Osan or Kunsan? I spent a year in Osan.

Back