Sapphire HD 4870 listed at Buy.com $299

4870GDDR3 is the vanilla series, 4870GDDR5 is the XT series.

I thought the 4870 was supposed to have GDDR5 and the 4850 was GDDR3.
Well, there have been different reports of which cards will have GDDR5. There will definitely be a 4870 with GDDR5, but I'm not sure that all of them will have it. At one time, there was rumored to be a possible 4850 with GDDR5, but it was scrapped because of the supply/price.

Anyway, one thing we know for sure is that the online store specs are not always accurate. Even some boxes have incorrect specs.

The only way to know for sure is to wait until we get the official launch information on June 25th.

HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 $349
HD 4870 512 GDDR3 $300
HD 4850 512 GDDR3 $200

I thought for sure that there would be a ddr5 version of the 4870 512mb... but maybe there has just been a lot of inaccurate reports?

The 512 version might not have ddr5 at all...so it could only be the 1 gb.

I wish AMD would come out and at least tell us what to expect and the exact dates. This is ridiculous.

Should be GDDR5 for the 512MB but I can't tell if buy.com simply has an error in their listing or not

GDDR5 will be hard to come by for the first couple weeks, so I read.

I bit, currently "in the shipping process". If it ships, bonus!

Edit: Looks like no cards yet, so I'm cancelling and waiting for GDDR5 versions.

Thanks for that link. Just ordered 1 for now. Will get second one next week. :)

15 are left. :eek:

Edit: I noticed in the comments someone wrote: "ATI moved the Radeon HD 4850 RELEASE date up 6-20-2008" can anyone confirm?

$300 for a GDDR3 4870, seriously? That's BAD - I was expecting the GDDR5 model for that, which at $350 is closing in on GT260 territory. I guess ATi are confident it stacks up well enough to justify the pricetag, but 4850 needs to be starving for more memory/bandwidth if this is going to happen (as the 4870 only has a 20% advantage in raw computational power and the gulf between 4850 and GT260 is much bigger than that). Have to wait for the [H]ard numbers @ 19x12 (since I'm getting a 28" screen too, all nicely tax-deductable ;))

They took it off now... going at this record they are going to have them up again before release.

Does anybody's shipped yet?

Damn. How long do we have to wait for DDR5? Doesn't really matter to me, the longer I wait the more money I can save for this card. The only problem is that I have to put up with crappy FPS and resolutions while I'm waiting.

Back