Sapphire Edge Mini PC Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Overclockers Club has posted a review of Sapphire's Edge mini PC today and, from the looks of things, it seems they really like the tiny PC.

I truly believe that Sapphire has found a sweet spot for media pc's. The Edge Mini PC really impressed me with it's design, performance and feature set. All my life computers have been getting smaller and smaller; but all of that didn't prepare me for the Edge. An enclosure the size of a paperback book containing a more-than-capable media PC was somewhat alien to me.

looks like a really good contenter in the net-top/HTPC market. Full 1080, gigabit LAN, small form factor, and low power/ temps make it very appealing. But also make it 'normal' in the net-top arena. I would have liked to see more tests using Windows 7 specifics, and even some using Media Center.

It's not even a D525. I tested a D525 w/ ION 2 on windows 7 x64 with WMC and MediaBrowser. It ran true 1080p movies good alright - but as soon as I turned on subtitle - it fell off the cliff; unacceptable studders! So I can say that with this D510 unit - it will be the same thing.

XBMC on Linux though, seems to run fine. I'll pass and wait for a faster chip.

It's not even a D525. I tested a D525 w/ ION 2 on windows 7 x64 with WMC and MediaBrowser. It ran true 1080p movies good alright - but as soon as I turned on subtitle - it fell off the cliff; unacceptable studders! So I can say that with this D510 unit - it will be the same thing.

XBMC on Linux though, seems to run fine. I'll pass and wait for a faster chip.
well that problem excludes the deaf, arty fartsy types who like foreign films, and mid level otaku (noobs will be using dubs, and the hardcore ones are fluent in Japanese); but for the other 90% of potential HTPC users it won't be an issue.

I know that's not what it is meant for, but I would like to know if it could actually play any older games and how good.

Back