Sapphire 990FX Black Owners - Need Your Help

mikeohara

Limp Gawd
I'm a noobie somewhat to AMD overclocking, but I got my hands on a Sapphire 990FX Black mobo for free courtesy of my wife winning one at the GamExperience, and I'm trying to get my O/C stable.

I've had it as high as 4.4ghz and it boots into Windows just fine, but my system will hardlock every time I try to launch a game (Been itching to play The Darkness 2's demo). Is there any adjustable settings I can tweak either within TRIXX or in the BIOS to get it to play nice? Or maybe a guide to the settings? Any advice from fellow owners would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

booting into windows isn't exactly CPU intensive. It's more disk activity than anything.

Is your overclock done in the BIOS or with software?... stay away from software overclocking utilities as they aren't good for doing anything more than a mild overclock. To find out how to overclock in the BIOS, there are several guides around that explain what each setting in the BIOS does, and then how to test the overclock. There's a chance you can go beyond 4.4Ghz and get stable performance with a properly executed and tested overclock...

Long story short, don't just start playing with settings, you can fry your hardware. Google "AMD Overclocking Guide" ... Phenom II overclocking works similar enough to FX that you can read older guides and they will still help you.

http://www.amdbenchmark.com/2011/10...-overclocking-guide-tutorial-linus-tech-tips/ <---- video that shows some tips and steps if you don't like to read

Back