• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sapphire 9800Pro 128Mb won't post

matman42

n00b
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Messages
16
I posted this on the tail end of an older message so it probably got lost in the shuffle. I need some help. I just installed a brand new 9800Pro 128 in my system and everytime I turn the system on it will not POST. It won't give a video signal and I've noticed it isn't sending out a signal to the keyboard or mouse. I took it out of my main system and put it in an old Pentium II system and it boots just fine. I've updated the BIOS on my system, went through and set it for 4x AGP, turned fast write off, turned video shadow off, put the card in it and it still will not POST. I have the molex connected up just fine. I've even gone so far as to unplug everything but the video card and mother board from the power supply with no luck.

For the record I'm running:

Abit KG-7 MB
Athlon 1500
512 Mb of RAM
Lite-on 52x48x52 CD/RW
16x DVD-ROM
Antec 400 watt power supply
SB Audigy 2

I originally had a 300 watt power supply that came with the case and is probably 7 years old and had thought it might be the problem, but replacing the psu didn't fix it. I've read somewhere that the ATI 9800's had compatibility issues with VIA chipsets before the 800 series. The Kg-7 has a VIA 686b and I really really hope that isn't the problem.

Has anyone else run into this or does anyone else have any suggestions?
 
I have the molex connected up just fine

Yeah I did have the power connected up on the card correctly. As it is I have found out today what is causing the error. The KG-7 AGP is AGP 2.0. The Sapphire 9800Pro I bought is AGP 3.0 and it is not backwards compatible.

Guess I'll be getting a new mobo in a month or two.

Can anyone confirm if the Asus A7N8X is compatible with the Athlon 1500 chip? I know I should upgrade the CPU too, but I'm on a budget right now and if I can get away with upgrading the mobo and possibly the RAM only for now it would be great.

Thanks
 
Back
Top