Sapphire 7950 OC problem.

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
I recently picked up a Sapphire 7950 OC from someone here on [H]. I attempted to play bf3 and it would crash. I attributed it to all the bugs reported in bf3. So i went and played a little FEAR 3 and what do ya know, within 10-15 minutes, the game froze up. It was not a full system lock. I could Ctl+alt+del out of the games, and i had GPU-Z running while playing both games. The card didn't get anywhere above 50*C. I finally downloaded Sapphire TRIXX and downlclocked it to 825mhz core clock, and it has been fine ever since. What's the deal? Any thoughts?

Have you triied different drivers? Maybe it possibly needs a little more voltage for stock performance?

I got the latest drivers out, not the rc's though. I have never OC'ed a Gfx card before. I don't wanna go too crazy. Any good articles on it you reccomend?

Download the latest afterburner beta, enable voltage control, bump voltage to 1250 and core to 1050 and mem to 1500, set fan to 65% manual while you stress test it with some gaming. Bump up 10-15 mhz at a time, till you become unstable and back it down a bit.

WIN WIN WIN

Download the latest afterburner beta, enable voltage control, bump voltage to 1250 and core to 1050 and mem to 1500, set fan to 65% manual while you stress test it with some gaming. Bump up 10-15 mhz at a time, till you become unstable and back it down a bit.

WIN WIN WIN
Isn't that a bit high to start with, clock wise?

I think 1.250v is a little high to start with, especially for someone who's not used to OCing gpus.

I would be pretty upset if my 7xxx video card only could overclock 25mhz. my 7970 runs 1010mhz undervolted to 1.043V.... 1200core at stock voltage....

Maybe you got a dud overclocker? Is it possible your PSU cant handle it?

As long as you dont force constant voltage its not a problem, both my 7950's need 1.25 to oc past 1050 and temps never breech 65c under 99% load with 65% fan speed. both currently running 1200/1590.

If your OC is unstable anything over stock core settings then you have a low vid on your chip and its gonna need a bit of juice to get it going. Careful though with them mem because both the sapphire and the powercolor have no active cooling
on the VRM, its passive air flow from the fan speed so having it clocked high at auto could burn your VRMs

I would be pretty upset if my 7xxx video card only could overclock 25mhz. my 7970 runs 1010mhz undervolted to 1.043V.... 1200core at stock voltage....

Maybe you got a dud overclocker? Is it possible your PSU cant handle it?
corsair HX1050. I think I'm ok in that department :D And for all i know, i could push it maybe to 850 or 875. I havent tried. I figured i would go close to stock card clocks and see if it fixed it, and it did. Haven't played with it since.

I think 1.250v is a little high to start with, especially for someone who's not used to OCing gpus.

this. I am really not looking to get any ridiculous speeds out of it. At least not right off the bat.

The only reason i picked this car up, being the OC, was that i found it on the release date here on [H] for $415 shipped.

Back