• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sapphire 6870 3dMark Score

aznofazns

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
273
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here but the people at OCN haven't responded to my thread yet, so I thought I'd post here as well. [H] has been good to me in the past.

So here's the issue: I just got my Sapphire HD6870 today and installed it. Removed my old 4870's 10.9 driver and installed 10.10. Ran 3dMark Vantage and got a lackluster score of a little under P15,000 with the card overclocked all the way up to 1000/1175 (using Sapphire Trixx). Stock clocks are 900/1050.

Multiple runs of 3dMark06 result in only a score of 18,400. That's seriously low for this card, especially with the heavy overclock. The thing I noticed in 3dMark06 was that, no matter what I changed the clocks to in Trixx OR CCC, the framerate in the first 30 seconds of the test is exactly the same - starts at about 100fps and drops to ~40fps during the firefight. Running the test at stock clocks gets me a score of about 17,900, pretty much the same as overclocked.

However, the framerate is affected slightly in Furmark when I overclock. At 1440x900 windowed in Xtreme Burning mode with 0x AA and no Post Effects, I get about 51fps overclocked vs 45fps stock. Are these framerates even normal for these settings?

Note that my CPU is a Q6600 overclocked to 3.4GHz. I know Vantage depends heavily on the CPU, but my Graphics score was only 16,000 overclocked anyways. That's lower than what reviewers achieved without overclocking.
 
I'm leaning towards the OC on the CPU. Why not throw the 6870 in the i5 box and see what you get.
 
It's actually an i3 box, so not sure how much the CPU score would change. Also, it's about 200 miles away from me at the moment. :(

I don't think it would be the CPU. I know the Q6600 is old, but 3.4GHz shouldn't be too slow. The main indication that something is wrong is the terrible framerate in 3dMark06. I was watching a video of someone with a similarly clocked 6870 pulling around 120fps in the final snow level whereas my rig was pulling only about 70. There's no way that just the CPU could produce that large of a difference, right? He was running a 4.2GHz i5 750 I believe. His 06 score ended up being over 24,000 vs my 18,400.
 
It actually can. My Q9400 was giving me low scores @ 3.2 with my 260's in SLI so I went i7 and it was night and day @ 4.0 and I never benched SLI at 4.2. You want to be at the 3.8+ point IIRC. Also at low resolutions the GPU becomes somewhat CPU dependent. From what I remember I seen a 3k increase from my Q9400 to my i7 930.
 
Back
Top