Sapphire 5770 - slight issue after install

PRIVATEpastry

Weaksauce
hey guys, i installed my new sapphire 5770 a few days ago and the card has been working great. im super happy with its performance. everything is great except...

when i boot my comp, i hear the cd drives (i have 3 - 2 ide, 1 sata) trying to load even though there is nothing in the drives. they cycle about 5 times, then the computer boots up like normal. like i said, its not a huge deal, but it causes my boot to take a good 20-30 sec longer.

i first went into the bios and disabled the cd drive from the boot list, and that had no effect. i then manually unplugged the power and the ide cables from both ide drives. this seemed to have solved the issue, but i want to be able to use my drives.

do you guys have any suggestions? power issue maybe? here is a link to my psu - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817194009

like i said, the 5770 is the only change i have made, but let me know if you need any other system specs

What video card were you using before? You might be overdrawing from your power supply.

The 5770 shouldn't require more than dual 22amp rails though. Still could be a shoddy PSU.

What I would do is what I already do, keep my computer on for as long as possible (days to weeks at a time). I hardly ever see my boot screen.

@kcchan, i had an x1300 before..so pretty big upgrade which is why i was thinking possibly the power supply.

@noforgiveness, i try and shut my comp off every night haha

With a PSU like that.... might be worth the money to get a new one even if thats NOT the cause of your problems. Wouldn't want it to blow and damage other parts of your system.

I have the same problem and my card is Asus 5770 1gb. OCZ 520 Watts PSU. Can't figure out what is the problem.

I might be getting new power supply to see if that fixes the problem.

Well I got myself cooler masters gx 750 watts. And that didn't help at all. My guess it is because of the video card.

hey guys, i installed my new sapphire 5770 a few days ago and the card has been working great. im super happy with its performance. everything is great except...

when i boot my comp, i hear the cd drives (i have 3 - 2 ide, 1 sata) trying to load even though there is nothing in the drives. they cycle about 5 times, then the computer boots up like normal. like i said, its not a huge deal, but it causes my boot to take a good 20-30 sec longer.

i first went into the bios and disabled the cd drive from the boot list, and that had no effect. i then manually unplugged the power and the ide cables from both ide drives. this seemed to have solved the issue, but i want to be able to use my drives.

do you guys have any suggestions? power issue maybe? here is a link to my psu - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817194009

like i said, the 5770 is the only change i have made, but let me know if you need any other system specs

While 5 isn’t the norm, reading the CD-DVD-ROM is part of POST, especially if you have the boot order setup to have boot from cd-dvd-rom first. Also most PAID for AV will scan any boot device including your dvd-cd-rom drives, has that been updated recently and what vendor do you use? Granted you probably didn’t make any changes to those devices but is the IDEs setup master/slave? I have never seen a new video card install cause this issue, however with that being said I have seen many a strange things on PC so I suppose it could happen.

Maybe you hit a drive jumper when you put in your vid card. Not very likely but I've done worse. Check your physical connections again since that's the only major change you've done.

Slightly off-topic: I have the same card as you. Just wondering what drivers you're running and what games? I've been getting occasional black screens in BC2/MW2 (using 10.2s) and the very occasional grey screens. I usually recover from the grey screens with the "This device has stopped working..." notice in the system tray but the environment stabilizes. Black screens mean hard reboot. These crashes usually come in waves like once a month. It'll happen a few times a day and then won't happen for a while.

Last edited:
Well before I had power supply swapped, I would get reboots once in a while. It would boot to windows and it wont respond for few seconds. Then reboots. But I didn't have any crashes with Asus 5770 while in game. So far when with new 750 watts PSU it works fine except it would take about 15 seconds for screen to show up before it starts booting.

sorry i was mia forever, but i just updated the motherboard bios and it seems to be better. it cycles the cd rom drive only once or twice now (compared to 5-6 times before the update)

Back