• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sapphire 4850 OC Issue?

mdaniel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
344
Greetings everyone!

I've had this card for about a month in the system that is in my sig. As long as I don't OC anything, I have no problems. However, when I try even a 10 Mhz bump to the core, the system crashes and locks up. I'm running dual monitors at 1440x900, and when the crash happens, each monitor has a different color version of vertical bars that are less than a .25 inch in width. Auto-Tune causes this same crash. Once the crash happens and I reboot, the system loads fine until the CCC tries to load. Once that happens, the same crash happens instantly. If I reboot under another user profile, then I don't experience the crash again until I log into my main profile.

The only way I can resolve it is to boot in safe mode and un-install all of the ATI software. Upon reloading all of the CCC and ATI drivers (8.12), the crash is gone. Unless I try to OC. OS is XP-Pro. Let me know what other info I might need to provide.

Any ideas?
 
I have the same problem on an Asus 4850, any change in the clock speed and it crashes in the same way. The card is plenty cool and I checked the bios and the oc limits are 800/1200 which means its not a clock limit causing the problem.
 
I think I might have found a fix: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1336696

I didn't load in a new bios, I just acquired mine, saved the original and then changed my memory speed to 1050 across the board (from 750 & 993). Stable thus far. I also changed all of the gpu speeds that were 625 to 640. I'll run auto-tune now to see if it crashes like before.

UPDATE #1:

Well, running auto-tun caused it to crash at 690 gpu and 1095 ram. Same green vertical bars. I've since changed it back to 640 & 1050...which is the modified BIOS defaults and it"seems" ok once again. I'm no expert, but based upon all of my research, it appears to be a dual display issue when matched with ATI Overdrive. It "Seems" stable as long as I do the OC through the BIOS and ignore ATI Overdrive. Time for some FO3 to see if it holds.

UPDATE #2:

Well, other than the normal bug / lag / exploding textures in certain areas of FO3, I did not experience any crashes at all with the BIOS OCd to 640 & 1050. I'll have keep my fingers crossed.
 
Back
Top