• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Saphire 4850 1gb

crzyhrse50

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
108
Anyone see any reviews on this card? I was wondering if the extra memory will help at higher resolutions and with rendering. but I have not been able to find any reviews on it.
 
what is your resolution? unless you have really high resolution, a 512mb 4850 should do the job. or if your spending that kind of money, just get a 4870.
 
I have a 24" so no it's not nothing crazy like a 30" or higher. i do however have a 42" lcd tv that my pc is hooked up to.

Thank you for the feedback drag...
 
I have a 24" so no it's not nothing crazy like a 30" or higher. i do however have a 42" lcd tv that my pc is hooked up to.

Thank you for the feedback drag...

Your TV wont be able to do as high res as your PC if I'm correct .

Your montor 1920x1200 , and your TV may be 1280x720 .
 
I remember seeing a review, don't know where from, but the basic conclusion was mabe 5% faster (if i remember correctly, it may have been lower). They said the gddr3 was limiting the higher resolutions, rendering the extra memory useless.
 
Your TV wont be able to do as high res as your PC if I'm correct .

Your montor 1920x1200 , and your TV may be 1280x720 .

If his tv is 1080p = 1920x1080 or 720p = 1360x768.

Theres no games that use 1gb of vram at these resolution. Maybe oblivion.
 
yea the tv is 1080p i was thinking though that in crossfire since the second card does most of the rendering the extra mamory would help on this. I know the gddr3 slows it but still you would think if anything it would help. I mainly wanted to switch it up cuz it is blue and everything in my case lights up blue. so it would look cool along with the performance.But guess not.


Thank you guys for the input.
 
are you talking about 4850 1gb model or the 512mb model in crossfire?
 
ok so no body thinks that this would benefit me? i plsy games and do alot of video transcoding.
 
If his tv is 1080p = 1920x1080 or 720p = 1360x768.

Theres no games that use 1gb of vram at these resolution. Maybe oblivion.

What about GRID? At 1920x1200 are there any games that will use more than 512? Currently I have 2x4850's (512mb) so I can assume I am safe for a while then>?
 
GRID uses more than 512mb at 2560x1600, not sure at 1920x1200.

Video ram is one of those things where everything is fine until you run out, then when you do it all goes to shit. You wont notice the difference between 512mb and 1024 until you run out... but when you do you'll get horrible stuttering and possible glitches. What's worse is sometimes you still get a good framerate (30+) but it'll be unplayable.

The question is, even if there are games that use more than 512mb, will the 4850 still be getting playable framerates up until the point where it needs 1gb anyway. At the moment, I'd say no, in the future, who knows (with the likes of fallout 3 and far cry 2 on the horizon, plus a more optimsed crysis warhead may allow for higher textures before being unplayable and thus use more video ram).
 
thanks for the reply. I'm just getting into building computer gaming systems (just did my first build) and I'm just amazed how fast things move :eek: and how addictive is is to upgrade! :D Now the question is how long until the 4870x2 is knocked off it's throne :D
 
I just bought one to put in my colo system. I plan to use it for GPGPU programming. Hey, its the first non X2 with 1GB. :D Good price too. I'm interested to see if the cooler is any better than stock.
 
Back
Top