Santa Rosa sub-notebook *without* slot-loading DVD?

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi there,

I'm looking to produce a modified laptop for a project I'm working on.

I'd like something pretty similar to the Dell XPS M1210 - ie a sub-notebook form factor, lightweight chassis, 1280x800 or higher LCD, but - a key requirement here - it MUST have a conventional slimline optical drive, not the ultra-slim slot-loading drive.

The only other requirement is that it must have a Santa Rosa chipset and a dedicated graphics card.

I have the Santa Rosa Dell XPS M1330 but it's too slim for my project.The XPS M1210 is ideal, but it's discontinued and I could really use the X7800 CPU and 800MHz FSB.

Any advice?

Yup, my 2.0GHz M1210 is struggling with the CPU requirements of my project. While upgrading to the 2.33GHz T7600 might give me just enough juice I would prefer to have an upgrade path up to the 2.8GHz X7900. Also, the faster memory and FSB of Santa Rosa would also yield dividends.

But I want to keep things M1210-sized if possible. Ironically, even though the M1330 is thinner, its footprint is quite a lot larger. And of course, it's too thin, having the slot-loading DVD as opposed to the normal one.

Of course it has a larger foot print. The screen is significantly bigger!

Well in fairness, the M1210 has a thick screen surround that if lessened could easily accommodate a larger screen.

So I take it that you can't help in suggesting an alternative then.

Back