Santa Rosa FSB/RAM 667Mhz 800Mhz?

TeknoZX

Weaksauce
Hey. Been away from the H for a little bit. I don't know what happened but seems as though I can't search anymore. Did something change? I did some research and am still pretty confused.

I'm about to get a new notebook with a Santa Rosa chipset. From what I've been reading, it supports a 800Mhz FSB. But I've read a great many posts of people saying getting 800Mhz memory doesn't matter because it'll downclock to 667mhz. I don't get it. The CPU runs at 800Mhz. Can't you just pop in some 800Mhz RAM and set it to 1:1? A lot of notebooks seem to be shipping with 667Mhz. So these computers are running at what, 3:2 ratios?

I just don't get why you can't just tell the BIOS to run the ram at 800Mhz and be set like that. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

Current mobile processors (Intel) run at a FSB of 667.
Santa Rosa supports 800MHz FSB CPUs. The Core 2 Duo T7700/T7500/etc models support that FSB speed.

TeknoZX: The chipset only supports DDR2-533 and DDR2-667. Dual channel DDR2-667MHz provides 10.6GB/s of memory bandwidth. The 800MHz FSB CPU only needs 6.4GB/s. Even if you have integrated video, DC DDR2-667 supplies all the memory bandwidth required by the chipset.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gm965/

PXC - great answer! I was researching for the same info as the original poster and needed the clarification. Dell is speccing their new 1520s with 800Mhz RAM, but then noting it is @ 667 Mhz which is very confusing.

Back