Santa Clara Microcenter Closing

Nearsite

Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
965
Sorry Forum Admins, not sure where to put this, so feel free to move.

Anyhow, I just got a postcard from my local Microcenter in Santa Clara, CA, that they will be closing down shop in the next several weeks as they could not negotiate a new lease at their current location.

The impact to bay area folks is that we won't be getting the great deals they have in the future, so pull the trigger now if you've been waiting!
 
The e-mail was sent out a while ago, and the closing date was July 23 according to the e-mail. Santa Clara store has already closed
 
Indeed it has closed. Went by there this weekend, and the windows are covered in front, there are signs on the main doors saying it's closed and pointing to the service entrance.

This was also posted in one of the general hardware sections a few days ago.
 
Indeed it has closed. Went by there this weekend, and the windows are covered in front, there are signs on the main doors saying it's closed and pointing to the service entrance.

This was also posted in one of the general hardware sections a few days ago.

AWK :mad::eek::mad::eek::( :(:confused::mad::eek::confused: Now we are left with only Fry's.

"Friends don't let friends shop at Fry's." :mad:
 
What's wrong with Frys?

I've never had helpful Fry's employee that didn't act like used car salesman trying to con me. Their prices aren't very good either.

In comparison, the last time I went to Microcenter the employee that fetched the parts for me actually steered me towards an SSD that was a better deal for me than the one I had originally chosen (Vertex 3 120gb for $70 as opposed to MC's brand 120GB SSD for $90).
 
I've never had helpful Fry's employee that didn't act like used car salesman trying to con me. Their prices aren't very good either.

^THAT x100000000. always trying to up-sell when you know exactly what you're looking for and never helpful when you have a question.

we also have central computers. not the best prices and not as wide a selection, but at least the service is good there.
 
Yeah, I miss the days of awesome Fry's CPU/motherboard combo deals. Fry's isn't good anymore except for pricematching to Microcenter.
 
Well, guess I'll have more reasons to take a vacation/road trip to SoCal or call up my brother in Orange County. Good thing I don't upgrade often.
 
Ah, that asplains why I was trying to look up a price on their website this weekend and there was no listing for the store. :p

I'd be surprised if they don't get a new store in the SV. I have no issues with Fry's. Dunno if the Sacramento/Roseville ones are just different, but I never have a problem with the salespeople.
 
I suppose a B&M store like Microcenter wouldn't do well in Silicon Valley. So many other electronics stores have failed around here due to too much competition. People around here are way too savvy with their technology buys. Yeah, selling CPUs at a loss within a few blocks of AMD HQ and Intel HQ probably isn't the best idea. And their other departments always look dead to me. With prime commercial space being expensive here, I guess they were just waiting for their lease to run out.
 
I've never had helpful Fry's employee that didn't act like used car salesman trying to con me. Their prices aren't very good either.

In comparison, the last time I went to Microcenter the employee that fetched the parts for me actually steered me towards an SSD that was a better deal for me than the one I had originally chosen (Vertex 3 120gb for $70 as opposed to MC's brand 120GB SSD for $90).

What's wrong with Fry's? That's the wrong question. You should be asking, "What is right about Fry's?" Here are some of the things that have happened to me at Fry's stores in SV:

  • Salesman sends me all the way across the store, but the item I was looking for was one aisle over
  • Salesman obviously knows less than I do
  • Salesman speaks some language that really isn't English.
  • Store sells stuff as "new" that was obviously re-shrink-wrapped. When I get home I discover missing parts. Then the return desk refuses to give me a refund
  • Returns department way too slow. (Compare that with the RMA process at NewEgg or Amazon)
  • Prices aren't that great
  • Lousy selection in some departments
 
Sorry folks, the concept of a computer super-store is obsolete. Micro Center only has about 22 locations, and they can't keep those going. Maybe they can downsize their stores and focus on cell phones... that'll buy them another couple of years.
 
Sorry folks, the concept of a computer super-store is obsolete. Micro Center only has about 22 locations, and they can't keep those going. Maybe they can downsize their stores and focus on cell phones... that'll buy them another couple of years.

I would argue with that a bit. Fry's was good, once upon a long time ago, like when I used to to go the very first Fry's, in Sunnyvale, CA, around 1986. I still remember buying 256 KB DIP's to upgrade the memory on the AST Six-Pack for my PC AT. (no typo there - 256 KB)

Since then, Fry's has gotten much bigger and the shopping experience has gone down. Just my opinion, of course.
 
Back
Top