Sansui QRX-5500 Receiver

MithShrike

Weaksauce
Has anyone heard this piece of equipment? I have a chance to get one for $99. It looks pretty interesting. Also, I'm getting some Sansui SS-20 vintage headphones... why? Just because.

Sansui is very nice stuff. I have had a few of their high end recievers and one seperate stereo amp, all nice. They have a much better sound than most, the feedback circuits are non-global, which means total IMD is much less, sound is very warm and natural.

Just looked at some web articles after googling the model, it's one of the old quadrophonic receivers, it was high dollar stuff way back when. The quadrophonic outputs actually bridge when in two channel mode to give double the power.

It would make a great stereo listening room receiver, provided the pot's are still clean and respond smoothly, it's won't be good for movies that use 5.1.

I don't do movies so that is of course fine. As far as I know it's all good for it. I am going to audition it on Saturday. www.classicaudio.com shows it's worth either $102 or $350. I'm going to have it serviced by a buddy of mine if I decide to grab it.

I would pass on it.
Vintage receivers of that era are more problems they are worth.

Hmm... well for $100 can you think of anything modern that will sound as good, with phono input?

Back