Sanity Check: External SSD Filesystem?

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 233889

I need a sanity check: I have a couple Mac's, Window's boxes and an Ubuntu laptop. No network. I do have an external 256GB SSD laying. I need to be able to pass the SSD around, plug and play, and move files not larger than 2GB individually off/onto the SSD.

Am I wrong in thinking it's not entirely criminal to MBR/FAT32 the drive in GPARTED? NTFS and Linux still doesn't play nice together, correct? FAT avoids the permissions issues since it doesn't actually check. All I need is stability and ease of use.

Suggestions?

I need a sanity check: I have a couple Mac's, Window's boxes and an Ubuntu laptop. No network. I do have an external 256GB SSD laying. I need to be able to pass the SSD around, plug and play, and move files not larger than 2GB individually off/onto the SSD.

Am I wrong in thinking it's not entirely criminal to MBR/FAT32 the drive in GPARTED? NTFS and Linux still doesn't play nice together, correct? FAT avoids the permissions issues since it doesn't actually check. All I need is stability and ease of use.

Suggestions?

It's a bit of work but you can get read/write NTFS support on linux with NTFS-3G.
Having said that, if you don't mind the large cluster sizes FAT32 will work perfectly fine.

thats almost exactly my usecase between work and home and friends. Also with the exception that i need filesizes larger than 2GB, so mostly no fat32. For me exfat did the trick, also it is faster then fat32 and flash aware afaik,

At work I use ntfs and ntfs3g for transfers using externals and my linux servers.

Good. Thanks for the replies. I thought I was off a deep end for a good couple minutes.

exFAT works for this, Windows, Mac OS and Ubuntu all support R/W if you have recent version of them all.

Back