Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer

What do you guys think will be more worth it in the end? I'm definitely getting the highest end of one of these (from Microcenter :D) and I want to know which one do you guys think will be the better deal in the end?

As of now, I'm thinking Sandy Bridge for sure.

1155 or 2011 sandy bridge?

Bulldozer is April at the earliest, and 1155 is Jan 5 release.

Sandy Bridge 1155 or 2011 will definitely be faster than Bulldozer for single threaded performance, but Bulldozer will win in multi-threaded tasks with 8 integer cores versus 4 for 1155 Sandy-Bridge.

2011 Sandy-Bridge is Q3 2011, and will beat Bulldozer both in single and multi-threaded performance.

1155 or 2011 sandy bridge?

Bulldozer is April at the earliest, and 1155 is Jan 5 release.

Sandy Bridge 1155 or 2011 will definitely be faster than Bulldozer for single threaded performance, but Bulldozer will win in multi-threaded tasks with 8 integer cores versus 4 for 1155 Sandy-Bridge.

2011 Sandy-Bridge is Q3 2011, and will beat Bulldozer both in single and multi-threaded performance.

We don't have any performance figures on 2011 or Bulldozer. You cannot come to any conclusions as of yet on how they will perform.

We don't have any performance figures on 2011 or Bulldozer. You cannot come to any conclusions as of yet on how they will perform.

You can make a reasonable guess. AMD said 16 core Bulldozer will be 50% faster than 12 core Magny Cours. Suppose that is FUD and the real improvement is 100%, it would still be slower for single thread performance than upcoming 1155 Sandy-Bridge (of which many benchmarks have already been released). However faster 1155 is core for core, it won't win against double the cores in multi-threaded performance.

Intel has a 1 generation lead on clock for clock performance, and with SB, 2 generations. You can hope but can't bet that AMD will frog leap all of that.

I'll be suprised if bulldozer can match performance of Q9550 @4,0 in single threaded performance.
If they can somehow pull performance of i5 750@4,0 i'll start beliving Santa Claus exists.

Intel has a 1 generation lead on clock for clock performance, and with SB, 2 generations. You can hope but can't bet that AMD will frog leap all of that.
Its certainly possible for AMD to do that, look at how K8 improved on AXP. Is it very likely for AMD to take the performance lead? No.

You can make a reasonable guess. AMD said 16 core Bulldozer will be 50% faster than 12 core Magny Cours. Suppose that is FUD and the real improvement is 100%, it would still be slower for single thread performance than upcoming 1155 Sandy-Bridge (of which many benchmarks have already been released). However faster 1155 is core for core, it won't win against double the cores in multi-threaded performance.

I see this quote being a server related quote and to me this does not sound at all good on the desktop front. I mean Magny Cours is certainly a bad choice on the desktop. Sure it has a lot of cores but the cores perform at 2006 levels and we do not have desktop software that can use all of the cores to make this a good solution.

This to me depends if AMD can clock their 8 core bulldozer at > 3.4 GHz and the win will only happen in software that can use more than 4 cores.

Agreed.

We will have to see price to performance.

Who cares if it's a bit slower? how much money do you save tho?

Back