• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sandy Bridge SFF build suggestions?

Hidaglio

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2000
Messages
234
I think I may be going in the direction of an SFF setup now that I believe my system will pull double duty as an HTPC and a gaming machine.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

HTPC, Video Encoding, Winamp/Milkdrop, 1080p, gaming, browsing, etc..

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Would like to stay around $1000 but up to $1500 for the right parts, I have amazon prime so would prefer the items be available there for no tax and free 2 day shipping.

3) Where do you live?

Nashville,TN

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Motherboard, looking at the P8P67-M, not sure on pro vs. non-pro.

Case, don't know if one exists that fits my exact needs, but maybe something close. I'd like it to fit in with my current reciever, PS3, xbox, cable, HDMI switcher etc... setup without sticking out like a sore thumb, but if someone were to see it or I was showing it off they would think it looked professional and sleek/modern, most of my components are varying colors of black, matte/flat/gloss etc.. so I'd like it to match.

Processor, 2600K

Memory, looking at Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws, whatever fits and is the best bang for the buck, I'm thinking 8gb sounds right?

GPU, looking at a GTX460, an SLI future upgrade path would be nice

PSU, looking at Silverstone Strider, Corsair etc... whatever is the best bang for the buck and provides the most space and least cable clutter.

Optical drive, don't need a BR burner, would be nice to have a SFF designed to use a slim BR optical drive, I think that would look pretty slick.

Heatsink, not sure what is best here for SFF size, I know before I was considering SFF I was looking at the CM Hyper 212+ but I assume that is too large for SFF.

Hard drive, looking at a Crucial C300 64GB SSD for boot, have a 750GB I can use for storage, would like the possibility of getting 2 C300s in Raid 0 in the future if possible.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

750gb 3.5" SATA HD for storage

6) Will you be overclocking?

Sure, nothing extreme, maybe just getting the multiplier up into the 40x range would be enough, 45x + if possible.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

61" 1080p DLP, and for desk/gaming use a 24" 1920x1200 HP LCD.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

I'd like to start getting the parts together within the next month or so.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

I'd like to have the future upgrade path of RAID 0 and SLI, USB3/eSATA would be nice, SATA 6Gb/s also for the C300. HDMI and Optical/Toslink or SPDIF out. I have a pretty nice receiver and surround setup (7.1). I'd like the best quality onboard sound possible. I don't think an add-in will be necessary.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yup, Windows 7 64bit

I guess that answers most of the questions. I'd like this to be a good HTPC and easy enough to transport to a desk for gaming maybe permanently if I build a dedicated HTPC. I suggested alot of parts but am totally 100% open to suggestions of other brands/models etc...

I have a friend playing WoW in 3D on his 65" DLP and it is amazing, I'd like to do the same, plus of course more demanding games. Also this PC would be storing media for transcoding in PS3 Media Server hard wired to a Linksys 610N gigabit. Also like to bust out the music library with winamp/milkdrop for parties.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top