Sandy Bridge Reviews Released!

I'm kind of relieved actually, gives us time for more Motherboard reviews and impressions to come out before the upgrade bug forces me to pull the trigger.

Those look a little pricey, if you don't count the in-store discount. $369 for a 2600K that was rumored/supposed to list at $317?

Meh, its like Kohl's. They're marking up all their prices so they can show you huge discounts.

LOL @ Kohl's comment. It's like they are never without a big sale.

Yep, and then my Fiance comes home: "Look what I got on sale!" [Facepalm]

Not that I can say anything as I continue to purchase PC gear I don't need whenever I catch a really hot deal.:p

Soo true,

you can also get them to stack coupons till the cows come home

went to buy the wife a few things for Christmas there

$340.... after all the "discounts" $98 out the door

Those look a little pricey, if you don't count the in-store discount. $369 for a 2600K that was rumored/supposed to list at $317?
List price or MSRP is just that, a suggestion. I'd be willing to bet that we see prices over MSRP all over the place for a few weeks after release. Either way, microcenter's in-store prices are going to be pretty nice.. only 280$

im pretty sure your able to do the conversion.

That won't do any good, regional pricing and tax changes things dramatically from country to country. Its the same reason that all the people who converted the Chinese pricing of the 2600k to ~$450 US were dead wrong.

still after an instant $90 off you are getting the cpu for $279 thats $38 lower than expected. That almost pays for the ram.

still after an instant $90 off you are getting the cpu for $279 thats $38 lower than expected. That almost pays for the ram.

If you live within driving distance of a Microcenter, yes. But it is a bad sign for the rest of us.

So admist all these reviews I haven't seen any benchmarks that reference the effect of memory speed. Since BLCK is locked and there is no FSB OC'ing with these chips I'm wondering if I should get DDR3 1600mhz memory or save some $$$ and get 1333mhz instead.

Anyone seen a comparison of these different speeds or have an opinion?

Thanks

So admist all these reviews I haven't seen any benchmarks that reference the effect of memory speed. Since BLCK is locked and there is no FSB OC'ing with these chips I'm wondering if I should get DDR3 1600mhz memory or save some $$$ and get 1333mhz instead.

Anyone seen a comparison of these different speeds or have an opinion?

Thanks

You can run your memory at whatever speed you want. BCLK is separate from memory speed.

Dan - I think his question is whether it's even worth spending additional dough on higher speed RAM and/or lower latencies. I'm guessing the general answer would be a no though...

*and I have a hunch, it's related to those 2x4 kits of 1333Mhz DDR3 that were on sale earlier :p

Dan - I think his question is whether it's even worth spending additional dough on higher speed RAM and/or lower latencies. I'm guessing the general answer would be a no though...

*and I have a hunch, it's related to those 2x4 kits of 1333Mhz DDR3 that were on sale earlier :p

Yes that's what i'm wondering....if it's worth it to purchase faster memory.

I don't know. Since the Core i7 920 came out I've been running memory at 1600MHz DDR3 because I've always had memory that can at least do that on hand and it works with virtually every board I've tried since then from the X58's to the P67's. I don't think latencies make that much of a difference with Core i7's so I'm going to bet that latencies won't matter that much on a Core i5 / i7 2500K / 2600K. As for memory speeds themselves, I'm not sure. Sandra results generally improve but that's a synthetic test. In the real world I'm not sure if higher memory speeds make that much of a difference on Sandy Bridge.

At least one review (maybe Anandtech's?) showed pretty nice memory bandwidth increases in Sandra with higher speed RAM, but that is synthetic, and I don't think they did any real world comparisons that I saw.

Yes I'm wondering about the impacts of higher speed memory in real world situations as well, since lga 1155 is still dual channel as well. Is it possible to be actual fine now using completely regular ram due the multiplier OCing? Without needing to push ram speeds high would also bode well for those that want to use all 4 dimms.

Another interesting tangent to this would be how much this affects this graphics component, since I assume it would need to system ram?

Yes I'm wondering about the impacts of higher speed memory in real world situations as well, since lga 1155 is still dual channel as well. Is it possible to be actual fine now using completely regular ram due the multiplier OCing?

Another interesting tangent to this would be how much this affects this graphics component, since I assume it would need to system ram?

With regard to overclocking, given that RAM is totally independent of multiplier overclocking you can use whatever you want.

Couple of days ago I got that Newegg special for 2x4GB(8GB) DDR3 1333mhz CAS9 1.5v for just $65 w/fs. Couldn't pass that up, so I'll settle with pretty standard stuff for now and see how much mileage I get out of it.

To note, Sandy Bridge runs on 1333mhz standard, so I recommend at the very least getting that. You should be fine.

Couple of days ago I got that Newegg special for 2x4GB(8GB) DDR3 1333mhz CAS9 1.5v for just $65 w/fs. Couldn't pass that up, so I'll settle with pretty standard stuff for now and see how much mileage I get out of it.

To note, Sandy Bridge runs on 1333mhz standard, so I recommend at the very least getting that. You should be fine.

I ended up getting cas9 1600mhz. It was the same price as cas7 1333 and from what I read performance is about the same.

Yep, bought my 2600k last night. Now I just need to pick a mobo.

Yep, bought my 2600k last night. Now I just need to pick a mobo.

I chose the Asus P8P67 Pro... just seemed to have enough for SLI/Crossfire and everything else under the sun. Gigabyte UD4 was a close second, but didn't have as many options. Anything more was overkill... could even do without the Pro, but I heard SLI/Crossfire support was better in the Pro.

Back