DblClipTite
Weaksauce
- Joined
- Dec 29, 2007
- Messages
- 106
I'm considering doing a budget build using a Sandy Bridge Pentium or Celeron, or an AM3+ motherboard and AM3 CPU.
One thing I'm trying to factor in is the integrated GPU in Sandy Bridge. I've been trying to figure out if the Pentiums and upcoming Celerons support hardware video decoding. I can't seem to find solid info and I'm sick of searching.
I've seen some information that makes me confused about whether Quick Sync or Clear Video performs the hardware video decoding, but it seems to me, based on this Quick Reference Guide to 2nd Generation Intel® Core Processor Graphics (HD Graphics), that it's Clear Video.
The Intel specs just say "No" for that feature for the Pentium G620. (They also say "No" for Quick Sync, so it might be kind of a moot point which feature is responsible for the decoding.) However, I've seen some 3rd party sources that seem to say that the Pentiums DO include hardware video decoding, although not other features of Clear Video:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-g850-g840-g620_8.html
(That's one of the things that confuses me about which whether Quick Sync or Clear Video does the video decoding. To me, that seems to imply that it's Quick Sync.)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4524/the-sandy-bridge-pentium-review-pentium-g850-g840-g620-g620t-tested
Does anyone know for sure what the deal is with hardware video decoding in the Pentiums (e.g. G620) and Celerons (e.g. G530)?
One thing I'm trying to factor in is the integrated GPU in Sandy Bridge. I've been trying to figure out if the Pentiums and upcoming Celerons support hardware video decoding. I can't seem to find solid info and I'm sick of searching.
I've seen some information that makes me confused about whether Quick Sync or Clear Video performs the hardware video decoding, but it seems to me, based on this Quick Reference Guide to 2nd Generation Intel® Core Processor Graphics (HD Graphics), that it's Clear Video.
The Intel specs just say "No" for that feature for the Pentium G620. (They also say "No" for Quick Sync, so it might be kind of a moot point which feature is responsible for the decoding.) However, I've seen some 3rd party sources that seem to say that the Pentiums DO include hardware video decoding, although not other features of Clear Video:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-g850-g840-g620_8.html
Although Quick Sync technology is disabled in Pentium CPUs, the hardware HD video decoder is still there. Therefore, Pentium G850, G840 and G620 based systems consume very little power during video playback.
(That's one of the things that confuses me about which whether Quick Sync or Clear Video does the video decoding. To me, that seems to imply that it's Quick Sync.)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4524/the-sandy-bridge-pentium-review-pentium-g850-g840-g620-g620t-tested
Where the vanilla HD Graphics loses is in video features: Quick Sync, InTru 3D (Blu-ray 3D), Intel Insider (DRM support for web streaming of high bitrate HD video) and Clear Video HD (GPU accelerated post processing) are all gone. Thankfully you do still get hardware H.264 video acceleration and fully audio bitstreaming support (including TrueHD/DTS-HD MA).
Does anyone know for sure what the deal is with hardware video decoding in the Pentiums (e.g. G620) and Celerons (e.g. G530)?